Released April 2014, the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II is a point and shoot camera that offers professional level controls.

LCD display goes blank when I move it out to use it at an angle

With the display in the normal position it works. As soon as the display is pulled out to angle it the lower edge drops down on the hinged mechanism as designed, but when this happens the screen goes blank. If I use my hand to hold the screen up as I pull it out the display works as normal. I think there is a connection under the LCD which is causing the problem when the screen slides down. I am worried I may break the camera if I take the display apart as I have no manual. Has anyone come across this problem and is there a fix for it?

There's a very good disassembly guide for this camera: Disassembly Guide

Removing the back including the hinged screen should be pretty easy. Reinserting the ribbons in Step 10 may be a bit fiddly and may require tweezers, but you will succeed with a bit of patience.

It doesn't describe how to disassemble the rear panel but it shouldn't be too hard. Take great care of any springs so you know how to refit them, make lots of notes about where screws come from, and keep them separate as there may be several sizes. You may find a loose connector, or maybe a ribbon bonded directly to the LCD, in which case a little bit of packing inserted behind it to increase the pressure may be sufficient to fix it.

But if the worst comes to the worst, put a watch on eBay for one advertised as "spares or repair" but with a good screen. Lens errors may well be much commoner. A swap-out should then be pretty straightforward.

Alan Cattalon will be eternally grateful.