Carrier, and iCloud activation lock removal

I ordered an iPhone 6 online for my son's 15th birthday. When it arrives, it's not only carrier locked but iCloud activation locked. I keep getting different answers and am told either it can be fixed but for a large price, and others say you can't remove it without the owners I formation. ( I have attempted contact with the owner, no help, no response) can you please tell me if the phone can be fixed to full function. Flashing, jailbreaking... Will anything help? Any advice is appreciated.

Well thanks for the help!

Since the FBI had to pay $1.300,000 to get into a terrorist iPhone, I have serious doubt about the veracity of people offering to do it for $6 to $120. But I'm just a sceptic, I could be wrong. https://news.vice.com/article/the-fbi-sp...

I'm going to start using this as a response.

@mayer, great article. Too bad it doesn't say clearly if the content itself can be read after mirroring. Apple changed over to the encrypted APFS file system in iOS 10.3+. Even if the content on the NAND is copied, it simply allows data to be backed up. It doesn't uncripple the iCloud protection. The owner still would have $1k brick.

Unless you can provide original proof of purchase, you cannot remove the iCloud lock if you are not the original owner. The iCloud lock is an anti-theft protection that cannot be removed by jailbreaking or flashing.

To remove Carrier lock, most carriers will only unlock for free it if it has been verified the original owner paid off the phone. Otherwise, depending on the carrier, ebay sellers can unlock it from as little as $6 to as much as $120.

I would return this phone to save yourself headache.

Look to swappa.com for legitimate resellers with unlocked and paid off phones, or keep an eye out on woot.com and groupon.com for refurbished phones that are guaranteed unlocked.

Kim scott will be eternally grateful.