iMac Intel 27". EMC 2309 (Late 2009, Core 2 Duo 3.06 or 3.33 GHz), EMC 2374 (Late 2009, Core i5 2.66 GHz or Core i7 2.8 GHz)

HDD proximity sensor not returning data

I've been struggling with my 27" iMac (late 2009) for a while:

Symptoms: LED backlight randomly turns black in intervals that increase with temperature. The rest of the Mac and graphics card are working normally, an external monitor (via MiniDisplayPort) is working fine. My hypothesis is display panel is shutting down because it thinks it's overheating.

So far, I've replaced the VSync cable and LED driver board. The Mac has an aftermarket SSD replacement with the OWC temp sensor solution installed.

After almost giving up (I thought the display panel itself was faulty), I discovered I could circumvent the problem with a software solution (like iStat Menu and similar) which replaces system temp management with its own solution (automatic fan setting). Display now stays on at full brightness.

In iStat Menu readouts, I can see that HDD proximity sensor is not returning data. However HDD temp sensor IS!

My question: what and where is the HDD proximity sensor? Is that the one inside the old HDD, which I replaced with the OWC solution? Does it mean the OWC is faulty or badly installed? Or is it another part entirely? If so, how come I can read HDD temp data but not HDD proximity?

I'm now thinking: either what iStat Menu is reading is actually internal SSD SMART temp data and OWC solution is dead. OR iStat Menu falsely expects HDD proximity sensor, which this model does not have, OWC solution registers as HDD temp and is working fine.

I would give a different monitoring app a try to compare the mis-temp. Give TG Pro a try

Thanks for your tip, Dan. I used TG Pro, as you suggested. Using this, I found out that the HDD temp data in iStat is indeed the SSD internal SMART sensor. iStat Menus shows this as generic "HDD temp" sensor. TG Pro correctly lets you include or exclude SMART data. Conclusion is that OWC solution is either faulty or badly installed, and this MAY be the culprit for LED backlight shutting down randomly. I contacted OWC and customer support was quite good. Representative is sending me a new sensor free of charge. Although the rep wasn't knowledgable enough to help me with my problem, but that's too much to ask. At least I get a new sensor, no questions asked. Thanks again Dan.

Happy it worked out!

Joseph Spackenberger will be eternally grateful.