Released September 22, 2017. Model A1863, A1905. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / gold, silver, and space gray.

Replacing the back glass on iPhone 8/8+

Has anyone done this yet?

All I've seen is that's it's very difficult, and expensive?

From pictures, I gather you don't need to tear the phone down, but endure the very well stuck down glass?

This is very difficult.

The glue holding the back glass is almost as hard as cement, you will easily tear the wireless charging coils or other flex cables that also pass nearby. It is also very easy to bend the internal steel plate under the glass, or even battery or main board beneath.

Then there’s the camera bracket problem, so if possible just buy a new rear case assembly altogether.

Omg that’s why you use a heat gun man, makes life easier.

Heat gun is not the problem, reassembly is. Without detailed step by step instruction, you wouldn't know how to put the glass back on properly. Also this cement type glue is not as sensitive to heat as you would think.

no, this is why you use a liquid nitrogen cooling plate. not only can a heat gun damage internal components on the phone- but it actually makes the glue bond stronger. you should research these repairs before you go commenting on them. the chemical bond is not something that can be hacked with heat, freeze it and it chops away like lead based paint.

As far as I'm concerned, working with it daily for quite a few years now, it's nothing special - you have to be patient but basically nothing can go wrong as you can't poke the battery or bust the QI-CHARGER :) but the glass is stuck like flies to a turd, and you gonna have to be good friends with your hotplate and some alcohol to dissolve the adhesive - and simply peel it off, piece by piece..;) from there on, I'd suggest you use some t-8000 waterproof adhesive, and if the backside is all clean from shattered glass, the new one should fit right in there and be good to go after an hour of clamping..:D good luck..;)

I would repeat what all of the commenter has said, chipping away the glass is painfully hard and will test your patience but eventually you will finally remove it. The key word is “Patience” :) My experience was not a positive ending as all the time spent removing the glass bit by bit and was proud of my result but for whatever reason, the phone no longer power on anymore…. :( very disappointing… I thought that the battery was drained but after plugging in the power chord and waited to charge, still would not power up. I did notice during the glass removal that the charging pad came loose at one end so not sure if that would cause the issue or not but if anyone have any thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated.

if you have patience you could do it pretty easily, the glass itself isnt overly expensive. if you dont want to risk it you should take it to a repair shop

I repair phones as a sideline.

I normally refer them to Apple within their Warrenty period.

I was just curious about it, as most teardown videos just show the guts of the phone, and nothing on the back.

And as for being very expensive, I cant see why If it's just a case of slowly removing the glass.

Thanks for the response.

if you go to youtube look up rewa it shows you how to do it step by step

This is a challenging repair. If you are a repair shop you need to quote high for it.

If you are doing it for yourself, it's probably not worth the time and pain involved.

I have been working on this repair on my own phone for a solid two weeks now. I have been slowly chipping away at the glass little by little. After removing 99% of the glass without damaging any components, I have come to the conclusion that I would have been better off just buying a whole new rear assembly and replacing it rather than doing just the glass. After all is said and done, it is nearly impossible to chip away all the glass around the edges to get a flush fit with the new glass. Learn from my mistakes and spend the extra money to buy a whole rear assembly rather than waste the time like me.

Duane will be eternally grateful.