Released September 22, 2017. Model A1863, A1905. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / gold, silver, and space gray.

Replacing the back glass on iPhone 8/8+

Has anyone done this yet?

All I've seen is that's it's very difficult, and expensive?

From pictures, I gather you don't need to tear the phone down, but endure the very well stuck down glass?

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Most Helpful Answer

This is very difficult.

The glue holding the back glass is almost as hard as cement, you will easily tear the wireless charging coils or other flex cables that also pass nearby. It is also very easy to bend the internal steel plate under the glass, or even battery or main board beneath.

Then there’s the camera bracket problem, so if possible just buy a new rear case assembly altogether.

As far as I'm concerned, working with it daily for quite a few years now, it's nothing special - you have to be patient but basically nothing can go wrong as you can't poke the battery or bust the QI-CHARGER :) but the glass is stuck like flies to a turd, and you gonna have to be good friends with your hotplate and some alcohol to dissolve the adhesive - and simply peel it off, piece by piece..;) from there on, I'd suggest you use some t-8000 waterproof adhesive, and if the backside is all clean from shattered glass, the new one should fit right in there and be good to go after an hour of clamping..:D good luck..;)

if you have patience you could do it pretty easily, the glass itself isnt overly expensive. if you dont want to risk it you should take it to a repair shop

I repair phones as a sideline.

I normally refer them to Apple within their Warrenty period.

I was just curious about it, as most teardown videos just show the guts of the phone, and nothing on the back.

And as for being very expensive, I cant see why If it's just a case of slowly removing the glass.

Thanks for the response.

if you go to youtube look up rewa it shows you how to do it step by step

This is a challenging repair. If you are a repair shop you need to quote high for it.

If you are doing it for yourself, it's probably not worth the time and pain involved.

Duane will be eternally grateful.