0

joegnemmi
13

Can I swap my logic board and SIM into a new handset?

I recently toasted my iPhone 3GS, the silent switch needs replacing and I can only hear a phone conversation when in speaker phone. I figure I can kill two birds with one stone if I buy a new handset for cheap. The only thing is, it wouldn't have the same capacity as my current phone.

Could I simply swap out the Logic Board and my SIM card into the new handset? Is there more work involved?

Thanks.

Joe

1

pollytintop

do what gabe suggests or you can buy the rear panel with the battery/headphone jack in. save the hassel of installation and your phone will look like new. but the cheapest option is gabes idea..

buying a used phone seems a bit silly... you've got a whole lot of useful parts(like the motherboard) going to waste..

1

Gabe
7k

Well... If the other phone's silent switch and front screen works then use that. An alternative is to buy a replacement mute switch here and Front Panel Display and it will save you even more money!

iPhone 3G and 3GS Mute Button

Used to switch phone between silent and ring mode — 28 available at 4.95 each.

iPhone 3GS Front Panel Assembly

Includes front panel, ear piece speaker and home button. — 50+ available at 34.95 each.