Model A1224 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2, 2.4, or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

White screen - Pink vertical lines - White screen

Ref: iMac, 20-inch, 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - experienced white screen. I followed corrective procedures given on multiple web pages. At first, successful but then appeared thin vertical pink and green lines. Continued with procedures, and succeeded at returning to white screen. Does this mean the hard drive should be replaced?

What were your procedures??

A white screen with pink or other colored lines is a video issue not a hard drive issue. I would focus on reviewing the display logic.

As for testing to isolate out whats bad: I would connect an external monitor to see if the image is clear on it Vs the internal. If its not, then the GPU is bad. If its good then you either have a LVDS cable issue or the internal display is having issues.

One for example, from: https://macreports.com/mac/

To clarify - the problem is currently white screen, no vertical lines. Previously I had white screen and reinstalled the OS, and solved it. Then more recently, the vertical lines developed, over normal background. So trying the steps again, it produced only white screen. So now it's just white screen only. Thanks for the tips. I don't know how to connect an external monitor, or even where to find one but I'll try to figure it out.

On the back side of your system you have a mini-DVI connector so you can plug in a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and a standard HDMI cable to plug in your TV or external display.

Ok, I bought a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, connected it to my TV, and white screen appears on the TV. So that means the hard drive is bad, correct? And if I want to keep using the iMac, I should replace it. Thanks for the input.

Lets review the boot process: About the screens you see when your Mac starts up. A Bad HD would get you blinking question mark on a folder icon. So it's not a bad drive. You can also prove this as holding down the keyboard T should show a FireWire Icon floating across the screen as you are telling the system to go into Target Disk Mode: Use target disk mode to share files between two Mac computers If you have a second Mac that can connect to your iMac you should have access to your systems drive.

But I don't think you'll get that far. The fact the external monitor shows the same screen aims us to a logic board failure.

Is that fairly certain? Replacement of the logic board is the recommended solution?

Did you see the FireWire icon on the screen?

No, only white screen.

Sorry guy you've proved its a bad logic board ;-{

Ok thanks. On to phase 2...

mchlgrblsk will be eternally grateful.