The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features fifth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, resulting in slightly increased performance and battery life.

Can I upgrade my new MacBook Air 2017 from 128gb to 256 gb ssd

Hi, I have a MacBook Air 2017 and I want to upgrade it's ssd from 128gb to 256 gb. Can I do that? And, I also have crucial 2.5 256gb ssd drive(is it compatible with Apple Mac air). Which tools I will need to do this, thanks.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Yes you can upgrade your current SSD to a larger unit. Here's the part you'll need to get:

FYI: the newer 2017 model is only a CPU swap out to a slightly faster chip. Its the exact same system otherwise.

Hi! I believe it's necessary to back up whole system before changing SSD. Can you explain how please?

Tomas

There are a few different ways you can do this:

First create an OS installer thumb drive following this guide: How to create a bootable macOS High Sierra installer drive This will allow you to install a fresh OS on the new drive.

As far as your data you could reuse your old SSD using the special case you can get with either SSD supplier or just make a full backup onto an external drive using TimeMachine then restore onto your new drive.

Yes, the MB Air 2017 SSD (4 Lane PCIe 2.0 x4 flash storage) is the same as from 2015 model.

And you can upgrade all of them to a Samsung EVO M.2 SSD too, model lines 960 and 970 (Both are PCIe 3.0 x4 but 970 has NVMe and is faster, macOS High Sierra required for NVMe compatibility). Both 960 and 970 are faster than the original Apple SSD, and cheaper too.

The OWC Aura Pro X is PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD too, hope as good as Samsung ones.

The "Original Apple SSD" is manufactured by Samsung, but the connector pin-out is different of M.2 standard. Fortunately there are compatibility adapters to install M.2 SSD into Macs (like this: https://www.globalmac.cl/Adaptador-Corto...)

Please use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your SSD (already upgraded to macOS Sierra or High Sierra) to an external disk. Then replace the SSD with proper adapter. Boot from external disk and use CCC to clone all your data to the new SSD. (This procedure will not restore BootCamp Partition, you will need WinClone for that).

Go on with your upgrade, this is cool!

parvindersingh1313 will be eternally grateful.