The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features fifth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, resulting in slightly increased performance and battery life.

Can I upgrade my new MacBook Air 2017 from 128gb to 256 gb ssd

Hi, I have a MacBook Air 2017 and I want to upgrade it's ssd from 128gb to 256 gb. Can I do that? And, I also have crucial 2.5 256gb ssd drive(is it compatible with Apple Mac air). Which tools I will need to do this, thanks.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

Yes you can upgrade your current SSD to a larger unit. Here's the part you'll need to get:

FYI: the newer 2017 model is only a CPU swap out to a slightly faster chip. Its the exact same system otherwise.

Hi! I believe it's necessary to back up whole system before changing SSD. Can you explain how please?

Tomas

There are a few different ways you can do this:

First create an OS installer thumb drive following this guide: How to create a bootable macOS High Sierra installer drive This will allow you to install a fresh OS on the new drive.

As far as your data you could reuse your old SSD using the special case you can get with either SSD supplier or just make a full backup onto an external drive using TimeMachine then restore onto your new drive.

Hello Dan,

Is there an upper limit of the size of SSD I can use for MacBook Air 2017, please? Thank you, from Ming

These are custom drives so it is what it is! 2 TB appears to be the largest offered.

Don't forget the larger the drive the more power it needs, so going larger than 2 TB will likely effect your systems run time.

You can use a Samsung SSD’s with an adapter. It has worked for a handful of users.

Apple will of course tell you otherwise. And their drives are slower.

You can also use your current Crucial SSD by using an adapter from Sintech. As long as your SSD fits the form factor for your MBA (M.2 2280)

Can you pls. post the description/link of the sintech adapter that worked for you?

parvindersingh1313 will be eternally grateful.