The first generation (KJ) Jeep Liberty, a compact 4-door SUV. Sold in both 2WD and 4WD configurations.

Where is my MAP Sensor located and how do I get to it?

I'm looking for my MAP Sensor on My '02 Jeep Liberty 3.7L. How do I get to it and Remove it?

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Mariah Sklaney check at the front of the intake manifold

3.7L

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is mounted into the front of the intake manifold (Fig.18). An o-ring is used to seal the sensor to the intake manifold (Fig. 19).

(1) Disconnect electrical connector at sensor.

(2) Clean area around MAP sensor.

(3) Remove 2 sensor mounting screws.

(4) Remove MAP sensor from intake manifold.

(5) Check condition of sensor o-ring (Fig. 19).

INSTALLATION

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is mounted into the front of the intake manifold (Fig. 18). An o-ring is used to seal the sensor to the intake manifold (Fig. 19).

(1) Clean MAP sensor mounting hole at intake manifold.

(2) Check MAP sensor o-ring seal for cuts or tears.

(3) Position sensor into manifold.

(4) Install MAP sensor mounting bolts (screws). Tighten screws to 3 N·m (25 in. lbs.) torque.

(5) Connect electrical connector.

The part is extremely hard to get to. The sensor broke in half while trying to remove the housing to get to the Thermostat sensor. It’s as if you need a special size tool to remove the bolts. Any advice on how I can remove the old sensor?

Hi Wendy. I replacement my MAP sensor and found that by removing the plastic box on top of the engine really helps. This will allow you to have better access to the part. I have seen a few posts about replacing the MAP sensor and NO ONE says to use a 7 mm socket or wrench! None of my one-quarter rachets would fit into the very small space to remove the left side 7 mm hex head screw. The RH side of the part, I removed with a 7 mm box wrench. I went to Autozone and found a "mini rachet" that is one quarter inch drive. The total length is 3.5 inches but the head of the rachet is only 5/8 in wide and only 1/2 thick. Got home and it just fit into the confined space and I was able to remove the bolt. I hope this helps somebody out there.......Hal from Bradner OH

Mariah Sklaney will be eternally grateful.