Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

Can't remove tri point 000 screws in iPhone with ifixit bit.

I'm having a difficult time removing the y000 screws in the iphone 7. I got this bit from ifixit. I don't feel like this bit is truly getting a good grip in the screw. I've stripped 2 of them on the home button. I need to remove the lcd plate and home buttom for a screen replacement. Are these bits not high quality bits? I've seen in other forums where they say it's crucial to have a quality bit or they'll strip easily. I managed to get one off but the others won't budge. I've had not issues with the phillips screws and easily got the camera off. Now I'm going to have to take this to a repair shop and ask them to remove these screws for me. I've tried using a rubber band and duct tape with no luck. Anyone have suggestions on a higher quality bit? I only have the y000 and y0 bits. Not the y00 so can't try the next largest bit.

I also had this problem with an iphone 7 plus that came in and I had 3 different drivers I bought from 3 different places and also the free cheap one that came with the new screen replacement.

I ended up having to take a straight screwdriver I got in one of my iphone 6 replacement screen kits and taking a file to it, looking under a scope and an hour and a half of tinkering with it to get them all out to get my customers phone completed.

Since then, I have returned 2 of the Y000 to amazon and tried 2 other suppliers there, went to ebay and bought one from the UK.

This was recently, so they have not came in yet but will keep you posted on which one works best. But with 4 different tips from 4 different places and still no luck finding a good one, I think its gonna be hit and miss with finding a good one.

BUT...the file and cheap straight one got me past the immediate need, but did have to use magnification to get it just right.

Wow, so you filed another tip to try to get it to fit the screw head? I'm just doing this on the side for a friend. I've done my own (older) iphones a few times with no issue. This is very disappointing. I think that ifixit needs to update the iphone7 repair guide to indicate how difficult these screws are to remove. Guess this is apples best effort at making repair impossible. I don't really have the time to try to get these out myself so I'll have hope that a local shop will remove them for me so I can finish the job. Thanks for the info Michael. If I ever decided to do my own repair biz I know that I'll need to get innovative to get some of the new phones apart!

I really don't think that it's "Hard" to remove the screws as it is hard finding a good quality tool. I read all the reviews of a lot of them and they are so mixed! 194 people rate a tool with 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5 so I buy it with only a handful of people rating a 1 or 2...just to be in the category of the 1 to 2 rating when I received them...so I am guessing that it's the consistency of the tool maker and die used to create them (I guess).

Sort of like trying to remove a transmission with a screwdriver and a wrench...Having the right tool makes all the difference in the world!

Just called a local shop who recommended esdabem brand tool for iphone7. You get a kit of 3 drivers but they say they work no problem on the tri point screws. I just ordered mine, I'll repost with update on how well it works when I get it.

I hope they work for you...this was one I ordered last weekend that was returned. They gave me a credit and I reordered it to see if I just got a bad one. the Phillips and pentalobe were ok but the Y000 was junk and I had to make my own that day. I added a pic in my answer above

I wouldn't recommend using any 000 drivers. I use 00. Really don't have these problems

Just a suggestion: it may not be the bit but the driver. I have found using a driver with a larger diameter handle allows you to exert more torque on the screw and downward force to keep it from twisting out. The driver handle in the old 26 bit set was excellent for this but I can't find anymore. This is also a very good driver:

64 Bit Driver Handle

64 Bit Driver Handle Image

Product

64 Bit Driver Handle

$11.99

I've been buying these for years. They're crappy Chinese drivers. But their 00 and work ever single time for millions of passes. Eventually they break. The top, the bottom. But they work great for at least a year or two. Now they've become more and more difficult to find, and I'm starting to think about what I should get next. Why does iFixit discontinue good equipment????

hockeygirl will be eternally grateful.