GFI Switch shorts out in kitchen
When I moved to a new apartment, and tried to plug in my machine, it shorted out all the gfi switches in the kitchen, so I just left the machine on the counter without it being used. I finally decided to do some troubleshooting on it. We tried plugging it into another outlet in the house and it worked without resetting the switches.
Me and a friend finally figured out because our maintenance at our apartments said our switches are fine and suggested we get an adapter. I had a 3 prong adapter, orange, and we plugged it in to the outlet and then plugged the machine into the orange plug and vualaa, it worked. Is there any other reason it would do this. I also submitted another question about the steam on the machine which I had problems with after reaching this solution. Could the fact that we are using the 3 prong adapter be the problem for its performance?
I got this one from Starbucks in California. That doesn't seem to be the case. All the outlets in the kitchen are gfi but the other plugs in the house are not. It's actually code for them to require them in the kitchen now. The plug is in good shape. It is a 3 prong plug. My roommate said by using the adapter, you are pretty much bypassing the ground.
You do not want to bypass the ground on this machine; the GFCI tripping means current is "leaking" inside the machine and you could possibly get an electric shock if you continue to use it. Is there a chance the machine froze during the move? This could cause the boiler to split open enough that a small leak has formed and is creating a short. The other cause of a GFCI popping is the heating element rupturing inside the boiler; this usually caused by lack of maintenance (ie. regular descaling).
Like Mayer suggested, the machine might have been on when you plugged it into the GFCI's and the surge caused them to trip. Or, you might have a nick or short of the Neutral wire in the machine itself and this causes the GFCI to trip, the three prong's added grounding might just add enough resistance to prevent the GFCI from tripping, BUT it will definitely affect the machine's performance being that its not being supplied enough power. Have a look inside the machine and play close attention to the neutral (White) wire and look for nicks or shorts in the wire. Make sure that the neutral wire is not making any contact with the ground wire or any other type of ground. It's definitely not making contact with the "Hot" ( black) wire, because if it was it would trip the breakers when plugged elsewhere. Are the GFCI's in the kitchen being used by any major apPliances? Nowadays the GFCI kitchen circuits are divided into two seperate circuits, but in older buildings you might see 4 or more GFCI's in one circuit, which isnt a good idea. After you have a look inside the machine and all is well with the wires, look to see if the Neutral wire is being "shared", or basically spliced and jumping from one terminal to the other. If this is the case, then a GFCI WILL NOT accept this type of connection, GFCI are way more sensitive than a regular receptacle. This machine should come standard with its own groung prong on its original cord, but if its European it might not. If thats the case, then I would buy a 12 gauge SJ cord with a ground prong in a hardware store and just replace the cord. That will help.