An external hard drive that uses USB 2.0.

How to convert a WD Passport to regular External HDD

I received a Western Digital Passport Essentials External Backup Drive from a customer on trade in. I received password and defaulted it to my account.

I was wanting to convert it (If possible) to just a regular drag and drop external drive like a USB Thumbdrive...

What is the proper instruction on how to achieve this?

Not sure I follow you here, the drive is nothing special. Its a standard SATA drive held in the case.

Just reformat it using Disk Utility that should do it.

@danj It has a virtual drive built into it...on a partition "wd smartware" and can't delete it

You'll need to select the root drive not the partition within Disk Utility.

Thank you @danj but it will not allow me to. I posted a pic

You can't erase a CD/DVD optical drive disk (UDF Disk). This isn't a HDD or SSD drive.

@danj ... It is part of the WD Passport backup HDD I have. I can't remove it? It comes up as Virtual CD Drive with the "Smartware" as drive D (Software for it) and the actual Storage on drive G when I connect it. I am just trying to get rid of the drive D and reformat it as one drive without partitions

@teetopp you'll most likely will have to replace the controller board or the BIOS on the board. Just double checked and the issue appears to be the ROM chip on the controller board. You may have to try and find one from a "regular"SATA drive. all this will need to be worked out on your controller board. You would have to post some images of your drive controller so we could try and help you with that. Looks like an extensive operation. WD had a plan with those drives

I agree...too much trouble for a $50 hard drive with only 750 GB ...and trying to gain 50 GIG isn't worth it all. It doesn't really create an issue for me other than I just hate not being able to figure something out and this little thing had me whooped! LOL for more than an hour or 2.

But thank you again for taking the time and getting back to me on it...

Michael will be eternally grateful.