Released September 16, 2016. Models A1661, A1784, and A1785. Available in 32, 128, or 256 GB configurations in Rose gold, gold, silver, black, jet black, and (Product)Red.

DFU reboot and invalid serial error (i7P)

Hi Community,

Got a phone given to me of a repairer. Original repairer killed the phone after a screen replacement. I have managed to get power to return to the device after a tristar change, however, the phone now boot loops into DFU mode.

I have attempted restore via itunes and it returns an error similar to "cannot find device" and using 3U which returns two errors:

• "Unable to switch DFU mode to recovery mode" however phone goes into recovery mode, so i try flash again and get the next error
  • "Invalid serial number"

I have checked for any other errors on the board with nothing visible, no heat, tried restoring with no screen, new screen, new charge port, different cable and different PC all with no luck.

Any ideas would be great!!

The serial number is stored on the nand, so if the nand is corrupt it most probably can't read the serial number correctly, also the fact it won't go from dfu to recovery mode points to nand too. As when it entered recovery mode it starts to restore to the nand, if it can't find the nand at all it bails.

I would continue looking into the charging circuit. Boot loops, annoying, can happen from charging circuit issues. After that I would look into the voltage rails coming out of the pmic. You'll need a zxw tool for that. They're not expensive, and worth their weight in gold

Yep I’ve got ZXW. Unfortunately the model iPhone 7 it is is the one where there is least info about the device. I will continue to check but I assumed possible further power line isssues

I've got the file from a different one. Shoot me an email and I'll send it over

Want to shoot me an email - jacob@basixit.net

Most Helpful Answer

From what I have read (Not from experience) it is most likely caused by either a corrupt NAND or from overheating NAND during Tristar and caused bridge or cold solder joint. If you have the NAVIPRO 3000, you could remove it, reprogram and install, if not, you could reball and try again.

But this is from "Reading" about the issue and could be wrong...just an idea and would seek out expert advice from @refectio or @jessabethany before going to such extremes.

I did read on one post that to remove FMI if on but not sure if that would cause a SN issue.

Please repost answer you find I'd be interested in knowing what repair worked for you

Jacob Harvey will be eternally grateful.