A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

My ps4 fan goes crazy when starting a game then shuts down the ps4

I had to have my HDMI port replaced so I sent it to a repair shop. They fixed the HDMI but whenever I start a game the fan slowly gets louder until it becomes a jet engine then a over heat screen comes up , red lights blink and the ps4 shuts down. What did those idiots who replaced my HDMI do to my ps4. Fan isn't the issue as I can feel the air blowing. Please help, they even charged me for breaking my Playstation.

it might be possible that they didnt tighten the heat sink clamp tight enough or some thermal pads could be missing from the board

So I need to disassemble?

yes but i would take it back to the person that changed the hdmi as its their fault

I'm just worried that they'll force me to pay them again.

if you have the the screwdrivers to do it try it yourself, take the top cover of and tighten the 2 clamp screws

I see stuff like this all the time at my shop. Sounds like you got lucky and they at least changed the HDMI port correctly...usually that's the part they screw up. Anyway, given that it overheats so quickly it's likely that they didn't take the time to clean the old thermal paste off and put new thermal paste in. There's no way for me to know for sure since I don't have it here to test...just going off of what I've seen a lot of.

It's also possible that the thermal pads are out of place or doubled up. This can cause the motherboard to not sit completely down against the heat sink like it should which would cause it to not make good contact with the thermal paste and heat sink.

I agree that you shouldn't take it back to the place that "fixed" it. Normally I would give a repair shop the benefit of the doubt but it's clear that the people you took it to are crooks. I've got teardown videos and overheating videos on my Youtube channel and there are lots of other good ones out there too so you could probably take it apart yourself but if you're not comfortable with that you may want to send it in for repair.

Hope this helps.

Yup! The thermal paste was definetly the problem. I took the ps4 back to the shop and they replaced the thermal paste for free. Perhaps they're not idiots, everyone makes mistakes. Thanks for your help!

Wow, that's great that they replaced it for free. They definitely should have since they should have done it in the first place but at least they did. For anyone else reading this if you remove the motherboard then you always need to put in new thermal paste.

Replace the thermal paste and check the heat sink.

Thermal paste was the problem.

GloryOrBust will be eternally grateful.