Why won’t my iPhone turn on and why when I plug it it in this happens

So I got my IPhone a while ago. I got it hand me downed from my brother and it worked fine for about a year. Then today it just wouldn’t turn on. That had been a problem earlier but holding down the power and home button would fix it. I tried that for a solid 10minutes and then decided to try and plug it in. Doing this, had shown the apple icon but flashed from that to black to red and it won’t physically turn on. Any ideas? Thanks

Considering the age of the device, you may have a dead battery. Is this still the original battery? If you have access to a multimeter, you should measure the output voltage of the battery. Anything below 3.5V would indicate a depleted battery.

You can order a replacement battery here and follow the repair guide here.

iPhone 5s Replacement Battery Image

Andreas H will be eternally grateful.