Screen dead zone before and after screen replacement

Hey there,

My iPhone 5c has a dead zone right in the middle that detects no touches at all. I assumed that was a problem with the screen which I replaced with a part and instructions from this site. Procedure worked fine!

BUT the replacement screen has the exact same dead zone. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Thank you…

A dead zone like that on multiple screens point to a logic board problem. I would inspect the Digitizer connector (see Step 21) to see if there are any damaged pins or debris in the connector.

Ah ha! The phone is not open at the moment, but I do recall that the part of that connector in the phone (rather than the part connected to the replacement screen) was darkened along one side, like it had some gunk in it or something.

Are there best practices for cleaning that out? Q-tip with alcohol or something?

Yeah, I would use >90% IPA and a soft brush (like a toothbrush).

Sweet. Will do and report back. THANK YOU!

Glad to help.

Willhaus will be eternally grateful.