Announced in March 2015, and released April 10, 2015, the Galaxy S6 is the next flagship in the Galaxy line. The curved screen version is known as the Galaxy S6 Edge.

306 Questions View all

How to remove glass without breaking screen?

So my repair shop offers glass repair on iphones, but we haven't been able to offer it for the newer Galaxy phones because of the OLED screens being so delicate we've never removed a display without cracking the screen. Has anyone here managed to remove the glass without damaging the screen and if so do you have any tips? We do have a hotplate with suction and wires that we use for removing the glass from iPhones

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment
Deck the Halls
With tools and Fix Kits

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

I have successfully done quite a few of the Galaxy S5 and S6 using the hot plate method. You are correct though, they are very fragile and have had a couple that I had to replace the LCD afterwards. I keep my heat around 90 - 100C and take my time cleaning the OCA/LOCA. Main issue I have had is trying to re-glue them with LOCA and keep the edges sealed from seepage into the backlight area. (Don't have OCA, vacuum, etc) I personally have stopped offering warranty on these Glass only repairs due to the difficulty and have my customers aware that the procedure can ruin their perfectly good LCD's...I just explain their is a 75% chance all will be okay but 25% they will have to buy a new assembly. I know the stats are not exact, but at the prices of the new assembly, I just don't charge anything if something bad happens provided they are up for buying the new LCD and have me replace it if the Glass only goes bad.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

The main problem I'm having is even getting the LCD detached from the frame. What usually happens now is that the glass and digitizer lift away from the LCD while I'm trying to separate the display.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Amos Doughty will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 2

Past 7 Days: 9

Past 30 Days: 30

All Time: 77