Repair guides and support for the first generation of Sony's RX100 high-end compact camera. 20.2 MP sensor / June 2012

Can I replace a broken sensor in my Mk 1 with one from a Mk 2 or 3?

The sensor from the Mk 2 has lower noise because it is backside illuminated, so it would be awesome to use it for my repair.

I have ordered a MK II sensor, I will report results soon.

Please do! as i want to try it too, mk 2 or 3 seems to be the same ribbon connection!

It didn't work :(

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Most Helpful Answer

Daniel Jenkins just compared the sensors and it looks like they are physically the same so they should fit. I do not have the diagram for the MK2 ,MK3 so I can not verify if the connections will be the same. I would give it a try and purchase a replacement from a place that let's you return things if they do not fit. Let us know what you find out.

Did it work? Currently having the same issues! Also seems hard to get a decent sensor for the MK1! Thx a lot

My issue is caused by the faulty ribbon cable of the sensor. I was able to fix the issue, at least temporarily, by prodding and wiggling the cable until it worked again. I will update this thread if I attempt another solution.

Please also if anyone has tried one of the new lens assembly*as they have the same ribbon with a wider aperture, let the results be known!, also the rx100 mk3 sensor seems to be the same as the 1 and 2!

Actualización (04/05/18)

Found this on the Rx100 Mk3 description, apparently they are the same sensor but backside illumination(?!

Daniel Jenkins will be eternally grateful.