Repair guides and support for the first generation of Sony's RX100 high-end compact camera. 20.2 MP sensor / June 2012

Can I replace a broken sensor in my Mk 1 with one from a Mk 2 or 3?

The sensor from the Mk 2 has lower noise because it is backside illuminated, so it would be awesome to use it for my repair.

Most Helpful Answer

Daniel Jenkins just compared the sensors and it looks like they are physically the same so they should fit. I do not have the diagram for the MK2 ,MK3 so I can not verify if the connections will be the same. I would give it a try and purchase a replacement from a place that let's you return things if they do not fit. Let us know what you find out.

Did it work? Currently having the same issues! Also seems hard to get a decent sensor for the MK1! Thx a lot

My issue is caused by the faulty ribbon cable of the sensor. I was able to fix the issue, at least temporarily, by prodding and wiggling the cable until it worked again. I will update this thread if I attempt another solution.

Daniel Jenkins will be eternally grateful.