Troubleshooting issues with iOS 11 and 3rd party hardware
I've been having trouble getting my iPhone 7 Plus working with iOS 11. The following hardware items have been replaced with 3rd party (non-Apple) components, all purchased from iFixit...
- The screen and digitzer assembly
- The front facing camera
- The battery
Here's the problem: When I upgrade the OS from version 10.3.3 to version 11.0.1, the system becomes extremely sluggish. Every tap takes at least one second to respond. Scrolling and panning left to right on the home screen is smooth, launching any app (even settings) takes about two seconds for the phone to register a tap. At first I thought it was the digitizer not responding to touch, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just the system being bogged down by some sort of incompatibility between the new iOS 11 drivers and my 3rd party hardware.
Here's what I've tried:
- Restoring via iTunes DFU as well as upgrading from the iPhone settings app.
- I've reinstalled the original (cracked) Apple screen assembly before upgrading to iOS 11. This DOES NOT resolve the issue.
- I've installed a second third party screen (different manufacturer)... no luck.
- I've downgraded the OS back to 10.3.3, and everything works fine again (like new). Not a long term solution.
My troubles have lead me to think that the incompatibility is with either the battery or the front facing camera. Since I don't think that the battery requires drivers, my only conclusion is that the front facing camera assembly is not compatible with iOS 11.
I've been having difficulty finding any original OEM front facing camera assemblies online to test my hypothesis. Any ideas or solutions from the iFixit community would be helpful. Thanks!
Is this a good question?