Mac hardware - anything that is made by Apple and plugs into an Apple device including external drives, power adapters, cables, converters etc.

How to Drive a Higher Current Without Op-amp IC

Hello~all

I am powering a detector by designing a triangle wave generator. This triangle wave is coming out at the right frequency--0.4Hz. LM324 I am using and the detector that I’m driving needs 100mA to run. I tried connecting the triangle wave output to a 1k resistor,and then into the base of a transistor but the output from the emitter was only the positive and negative peaks. I know, I could order an op-amp IC that drives a higher current, but if possible I would like to use parts that I have on hand now.

I have a spice schematic attached for reference. Spice doesn't have the LM324 so I just used the LT1014 ( LT1014 Datasheet )to draw up the schematic. I also attached the schematic with the added transistor.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Transistor would work if you use a transistor made for audio use and not use a switching transistor. The other challenge is to bias the transistor so that it is sensitive to the range you want for output. Analog electronics can be finicky if bias is not right. What are you planning for the output, speakers, LEDs or as input signal to something else?

mini will be eternally grateful.