Small media streaming device that plugs directly into your TV's HDMI port. Originally released by Amazon in November 2014. The latest version comes with a voice-activated remote.

My remote is not working and I can't connect my Wi-Fi for my phone

My fire stick remote stopped working and my WIFI is not connected to my firestick so I can't connect my fire stick app on my phone to my fire stick on the TV how can I fix this problem without ordering a new remote?? Please and thank you!

Thank you! Huge help and quick fix.

Cannot get my screen to unfreeze, I am stuck on the restart button with a message that's says Your Amaxon Firestick is switching off, but it'd been like it for 4 days now. What can I do?

I just fixed mine with the same problem! I could not get the remote to operate the firestick and unfortunately the Wifi was not connected yet so I could not yet use my phone App.

Turned out my remote was not working.

Here is how to work around it:

I borrowed another remote to get the firestick online.

How to Pair a new remote to a firestick:

So you get to the input/screen on your tv where you can view the firestick.

Make sure to put in fresh new batteries in the new/borrowed remote or you might deive yourself crazy!

1. unplug the power to the fire stick. Wait 10seconds

2. Re-plug the power to the firestick. Watch the firestick boot up on your screen

3. Press select (middle round button) and home button at the same time - I had to hold mine for 45 seconds; I got a message that a new remote was connected!

Then you can get your firestick online with Wifi - then just start using your phone

Thx. This worked flawlessly

I signed up for this website just to tell you how awesome you are Carina Lea! I spent hours trying to figure this out and finally came across your solution. It worked perfectly!

It took about 60 seconds after I let go of the buttons (I held them for 45 seconds) to see the message on the bottom right corner of the screen.

Thank you so much!

Thanks it works!!! I didn't unplug the fs, i just held the select and home button. Thank you

Thanks so much for this, I spent many hours tryna figure it out and got fustrated and gave up, after I finally run across this I tried it and it works, thank you

Thank you. I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

There is an app you can use, Fire TV, but you have to have the device and your phone connected to the same Wi-Fi for it to work unfortunately.

I Can't do anything, my screen remains blank. Also when I open remote app and go to find devices it doesn't show anything. Seems my fire tv isn't on or connected anymore

Sad to say, didn't work for me. The remote is only a couple of months old, but as of today, nothing works, including the supposedly brand-new Amazon batteries, or the ones I replaced them with. The problem is the remote, and also the stick, since its response to the phone app is sluggish and erratic. My Roku stick is a dream, on the other hand. I wanted to move the Fire stick to another TV, but I'm thinking seriously it's time to jump ship and get another Roku stick.

Clean the battery connections in your remote. I had the same issue and all it was is the connection in the remote that your battery's connect with were corroded..I used a razor blade and scraped them clean and it worked right away again!

I had this same issue. My husband unplugged the Fire Stick both from the wall and from the TV. But if your fire stick isn’t connected to WiFi, I don’t see how it would work at all? After unplugging it, he went to settings > remote control and it recognized the remote and its working fine now. I hope this will help you.

If you click on settings the remote is working

I didnt pair a new remote, but instead repaired/ reset the same remote using your instructions. It worked great. Thank you so much.

Ok. Sounds really stupid but I just discovered this as I made the same mistake. On most remotes the batteries go in opposite ways to each other. Not the firestorm. They go in the same way round. Just check because my remote now works and I feel thick as $@$*

Well, i cannot connect my firestick to my fire tv app using my new Wi-Fi. Unfortunately I dont have the old Wi-Fi to use... And the phone app wont let me connect to the new Wi-Fi since the firestick isnt connected to the new Wi-Fi

It worked!!! Thank you so much!!! I held the select button and home button for 60secs and viola I got the message.

Am having a problem with the firestick remote on my phone.the original remote went bad .i download the fire remote,i works well for me at home but when i went to a friends house i sign in with the amazon account but it wont connect for me to do anything.

I'm having an issue with my firestick. Every time I start it up my stick doesn't go to the regular home screen. It pops up what's new and has a selection to continue but since my remote isn't working I'm not able to click continue to get back to the home screen. Also the stick does not have the Wi-Fi connection. I bought a new remote off of eBay and I've tried to pair it multiple times please help me figure this out this is going on 5 days I've tried

None of these solutions worked for me. Since the remote doesn’t work, I couldn’t go to my settings to reset it after trying to re-pair the remote. I’m ordering a new remote.

Natasha Lopez will be eternally grateful.