The Asus Republic of Gamers G20 is a small-form-factor gaming PC with enthusiast-level components and good performance.

External GPU - For desktop or outside of case

My computer upgrades are limited.

Would it be possible to use a 4 Solid Capacitors VER PCIe 1x to 16x PCI Express Extender Powered Riser Card for my computer to use an external GPU.

I know many use this or use things like that for laptops, not Desktops. My PSU is limited to about 410 watts (over all) I think. I would like to get the GTX 1060 6 GB in the future for my computer.

I think my PSU could handle it but there is also cooling issues for it possibly from what I read. So I thought it would be easier to do a External GPU upgrade. So could I use the thing I stated in the beginning. Or could I just get another PSU, hook it up to my GPU, hook the GPU in the motherboard but leave the side case open of course to get the PSU cords plugged in.

Would that be ok?

Unless there is a way to get the PSU cords from outside to the GPU while in the case shut..... This may be hard to process or understand... I'm not an expert, so sorry.

Basically, I'm just trying to get an GPU outside my case with another PSU if needed.....

I have an i7 4770k (I think lol or around there)

• 8 GB of DDR3 RAM
  • About 410 watts overall
  • GTX 760

Your systems specs: Asus ROG G20AJ

Most Helpful Answer

Well, as far as I see in this pic, you can replace the GPU without much hassle, if you get the side panel off and then the retaining thing for the GPU itself. What you have to bear in mind here is to get the measures of the new graphics card right, so that it fits properly. About the cooling part, punching a few holes trough the (removable) side panel should be enough.

About the item you think could work, it should do the trick (works with my laptop at least). BUT the PSU that is inside the PC isn't a standard model, it does not have any spare connectors, so you will need a spare one to power the eGPU... and since it wouldn't be connected to a motherboard, you'd have to start the eGPU by shorting out some pins on that spare PSU. Not sure if I made myself clear: it works, but you need another PSU, wattage wouldn't matter much (anything over 250W will do). Feel free to ask if you don't understand something.

Yea if I did the eGPU thing, I was already planning on getting another PSU for it. My thing is, I'm pretty positive a GTX 1060 6gb can fit and can be powered by my PSU but I only saw one video about someone doing it(for my pc) and was terrible. So I'm not sure if it would work out. Then read more online, but was VERY little about it. Was thinking about getting a GTX 960 4gb which would do the trick, but a GTX 1060 6gb isn't much more and better. So... I'm sure it could run but don't know if it could handle it long.... so if there was to be heating problems, poking holes in it would be fine? I read about that working but I also read, depending on the case, it could make it worse as the case allows more efficient air ventilation and poking holes would ruin that. Back to the eGPU as well(DONT KNOW CRAP ABOUT IT) would usb 3.0 be ok for a transfer rate? Like the computer runs fine with a GPU through usb 3.0? BTW- Thanks for a fast reply.

@classdisruptor USB 3.0 is not really fast enough for a modern GPU, you comment reminded me of that. My GTX 750Ti makes a difference on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 3162, because the iGPU is VERY slow and the Celeron CPU is a bottleneck anyway. The problem with the eGPU thing over USB 3.0 is the limited bandwidth. Only Thunderbolt 3 is enough (barely) and only a few computers have that. That could slow the GPU down quite a bit.

The PSU that's already in there should handle a GTX 960/ 1060 well, something like a 1050/Ti even better.

As for the air holes, you won't ruin the ventilation, not to a noticeable degree anyway. Plus, the holes should be where the GPU fan is, not anywhere else.

This doesn't make sense guys... I looked at both GPUS(1 I have and the 1 I want and the one I want takes more power????)

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop...

https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/deskt...

If you can look at both please

Have you looked at the external GPU cases Best External GPUs 2017 ? The only rub here is how do you connect it to your system.

The device you have pointed out uses the USB connection which is fine for Bitcoin or Ethereum mining, it’s not a wide/fast enough I/O for a video feed.

brett johnson will be eternally grateful.