JBL Flip 4 portable speaker. IPX7 waterproof bluetooth dual driver speaker that won the CES Innovation Award 2017.

My JBL Flip 4 doesn't turn on and charge.

My JBL Flip 4 doesn't turn on and charge. It was playing good whole evening, but after that time that I turned it off it doesn't turn on anymore. When I plugged it in with different chargers it gives no response and battery indicator lights are not highlighted. Tried to reset by holding power button 30 sec, didn't help. Please, if someone know something about this problem, please help.

ok so I have the same problem and spent the last 2 hours looking online for a solution. I really love this speaker and was so sad to see it brake. after looking and looking for a fix and getting NO WHERE I got to !#^&@@ I through it at the ground. I almost cried when it immediately started working again. I think I originally broke my speaker by dropping it and this 2nd drop seemed to fix the problem. try dropping it on carpet so you don't brake anything else. hope this helped

my friend conected it in a computer and it semedto work ive been trying it but couldnt find a charger

Connection to computer helped me. Thanks

i have the same problem, and i did connect it to the computer using its chord but still won't open.

I have the same problem... the PC connection didn't help! Any other suggestion? Thanks, Kim

Most Helpful Answer

If your JBL Flip 4 speaker refuses to turn on, see the JBL Flip 4 Won’t Turn On problem page for possible causes and solutions.

If your JBL Flip 4 speaker will not charge or won’t hold a charge, see the JBL Flip 4 Will Not Charge Or Won’t Hold a Charge problem page for possible causes and solutions.

Connect to the charger and once you see light on remove charger, press connect + button and volume up together until it turns off, it solved mine, the same problem.

but when i unplug the charger it turns off :/

i used it all day then i went flat so i plugged in the charger and it was charging but now if i unplug it, it just turns off and wont turn back on until i plug it back in again :(((

Mine is doing the same thing

I removed the cable nearly instantly as I connected it and the speaker stayed on but Bluetooth would still not work and thus when simultaneously pressing the connect+ and volume up it for 30 seconds it turned off and was good to go

im pluging mine and the light doesnt even turn on

In my case nothing is working. Help me if you can.. Even if I connect to charger I am unable to see any light.

Same thing here..what can we do?

Also was unable to see any light, even when plugged in. This solution posted by pyroslinger worked for me:

I pressed the Connect Plus And Volume Up At The SAME TIME….While at the same time, doing an INSTANT cable Unplug/Re-plug. BINGO!! POWER!!

And now after trying to do a factory reset while plugged in, it went into some strange state again, and even that solution I just posted above doesn't work any more. I give up!

@cw123 wait can you tell me how to do that step by step plz

I had the same problem with my job flip5 and what worked for me is that I pressed all the buttons at the same time and it immediately worked even is charging now too! Hope it helps someone

I will never buy another JBL product again. We all have the same problem.

My jbl 4 flip just stopped working, not turning on or anything. This is crazy, I bought a new cord and everything. I will never get another product from them again. It's a total waste of money...smh

Same here too. And i thought it was the battery, bought a new battery online and it still won't turn on

Instead of tearing flip the apart I purchased a external power pack to provide extra playing time

I thought jbl was a better deal out there but it turns out Jbl is a scam.

HOW can we all have the same issue without the company responding. I have never seen a product not work b/c of same issue. Absolute junk

I had the same problem! So yesterday I divided to take it apart and I actully got it to work agian! What you want to redo is take off all of the outside casing and expose the raw wiring of the on button. Once exsposed take off the rubber protected and you’ll find a rectangular ciurxit board connected to a flat blue wire. Unlatch the wire and put it back in and the lights should flash. I will say that it will likely not be water proof so take it with a grain of salt. Let me know if that works.

Can you give the first few steps in taking it apart?

i tried it still doesn't work i even unlatch both still doesn't work

I tried ..and now it's working perfectly..thnaks a lot

Perfect!!

Many thanks. For those who will do this: once you see the flat blue wire, flip up the black tab. the wire is now loose. Just reclose the black tab. DO NOT pull the tab or the white connector.

And for those who need to disassemble, there is a video in YouTube. Look for "how to repair a JBL Flip4 speaker".

So you can start to take it apart by using a small flat head screw driver at the top of the fabric portion near the power button on both sides. There are three retaining clips to release on each side. once that is off there are four Phillips head screws that should be taken off by a small screw driver on each side. This will remove the plastic cover from the top power button. once that is complete take the silicone portion that protects the power button and lights and pull it back. you will see a small blue ribbon wire on the side closest to the charging port. you will need a small tool or flat head screwdriver to lift the ribbon clip and reseat the blue portion back into the clip. once it is back in push the clip down and replace the silicone over the power button. you can now test the power by pressing the button. this worked for me. I was using the charger but had no lights at all and it wouldn't turn on. once I reseated the ribbon cable it worked like a champ

By any chance did you drop you speaker?

Chances are the small blue plug inside came unplugged from the impact check on youtube for disassemble video then remove rubber where lights are located there you will see the blue cable to plug back in alittle difficult but doable hope this helps

Cardenas is right! Mine started to not shutdown and fail some lights after I use it as a car stereo, my guess is that from the constant knocking and shaking inside the car, some parts of the flat blue wire got loose. I solved the problem by taking it apart and reconecting the wire!

I drop mine all the time. Its pretty durable and that's never happened. That's what they get for making it in China trying to save a buck on labor. You get slant eyes who probably programmed a bug into the coding

I'm so proud of myself!! I figured it out! You need to go back to the original charging connector. Do not use your regular phone connector it does not charge. I had this happen with two of my speakers. Recharged perfectly with correct speaker charge cable!!

Very nice, this fixed my issue as well. God, I'm lame

Ya you don't want to use anything over 5v and 3amps ( or 3000mA) for the flip 5. Only problem is that it only comes with a cord but no charger...wtf right?!

DON'T PANIC! I had trouble pairing the Flip 4 with any device, it would not be recognized. I tried a very F’d up method on you tube to get it to pair by holding several buttons down together, and then suddenly the speaker charge light would illuminate, but NOT power up at all! I thought it was game over!! I tried everything! Nothing worked. After watching every video on YouTube….and several other different posted tries that all failed, even one that insisted you take it apart! I simply used the following method to get it to power up. It took me 4-5 tries to finally get it powered up, IT TAKES AN INSTANT UN-PLUG AND RE-PLUG IN.

!Use the factory charger! BUT In order to get the speaker to power up….I pressed the Connect Plus And Volume Up At The SAME TIME….While at the same time, doing the INSTANT cable “Unplug/Re-plug. BINGO!! POWER!!

Then I did a factory “Hard Re-set" as follows : Step 1: With the speaker on, (you can tell the device is on when the Power button has a blue backlight) Step 2: Hold both the "Volume Up" and "Play" buttons down until the device turns off by itself. Power it back up and you will be good to go on powering up and pairing. Keep trying until you succeed. It works.

You Rock!!! Thanks! I tried everything and only your method worked... Weird stuff.. thanks a lot

The thing of the blue flat cable loose worked fine for me.

It was a bit hard to pull the flat cable properly, so it took some time to me to fix it. But, regardless of the 1 hour effort to make it turn on again, it was good to fix the JBL flip 4 by myself.

The video that helped me a lot was this one:

https://youtu.be/_ygjoN3Ibno

I have the same problem.. And wait to know how it can be repaired

Hi, i have a problem that is slightly different.

Mine wont charge.

It blinks when i put it on charger, but only the first light.

It works, but will never fully charge.

I use the original cable, but i have no wall charger in the box?!

could be battery failure

I have the same problem it my jbl flip 4 won't charge it's only 1 month old help me. Can i replace this in the jbl store? I am a seaman i buy this in france now i am in other country. Help me..

Same problem here. Blinks when on charge but never charges. Yo jbl whats going on?

I have the same problem!

Make sure the charger is NOT over 3 amps for the output. You guys need to seriously read the specs in the paperwork that comes with it....

I had the same problem but I noticed that by turning it on its side the charger dots started blinking. I am now recharging fine while it’s on its side. It has fallen to the ground several times so maybe something is loose inside.

yes that is true

It's just a cord inside the board that has the power button etc. On that board it's a thin cord that might get easily disconnected that's the only thing it needs

This is so dumb, but it actually worked. Mine stopped working after falling from the kitchen counter. No lights or reaction when I try to turn it on or connect it to a charger.

I smacked it hard a couple of times and now it works perfectly again.

Hold the play button and the power button at the same time

if you have this problem, you will need to buy a new speaker, the current one you have,has re set itself and is in sleep mode

wrong...there are ways to fix things without spending more money to replace a product that could have the same problem again. there are also ways to factory reset the speaker.

I asked to JBL for a replacement and they can do it inside US. Unfortunately i was outside US. In this case (my case actually) i bought it again trough an authorized dealer and they put my money back for the second one.

The other option is to open it by yourself and replace the USB port that usually is the problem.

Good luck!

Ivan

That sounds like it was a round-a- bout long time to get 80 bucks back

Do what I did I connected JBL and let them kno what my problem was good thing my speaker was still under warranty I’m having a new one sent to me

Mate

my one i just holded the power button and +.

hold for 5s and done working as new.

Thank u very much it started working again...

I had the same problem.

while I was on my bike I accidentally pressed some button combination

possibly JBL Connect + Volume up

It didnt turn on again.

then I opened it up, rooted around without any result and closed it up again.

not very difficult

BUT

BEFORE you open it up try the reset option

plug it in, as soon as you hear the "here I am" sound

remove the cable and press

Volume UP and Play / Pause buttons at the same time and hold them until a hard reset occurs.

here are some button combinations for the charge 3 I found on reddit

JBL Connect + Volume down

says the firmware number and blinks battery level diodes matching said numbers (coincidence?)

Volume down + Bluetooth 10sec

turns off inbuilt EQ (and limiter?)

JBL Connect + Volume up

weird mode, possibly FW update mode

(to go back, connect to powersource and hold the combination again)

Volume up + Play/Pause

resets the speaker

lets all bug JBL about releasing the button combinations for Flip 4 as they are nowhere to be found

#JBLCmon

This was a random trial and error case where I just tried holding down the buttons in various combos until something reacted. Similarly, my speaker wouldn’t turn on by pressing the start button, and when plugged in, only the white light would flash. I ended up pressing the BLUETOOTH connect, Volume up, and Power down for a few seconds and instantly it turned back on. Hopefully this combo helps someone else!

EDIT: Shortly after this happened, when I tried to play audio through my speaker, something weird happened. The speaker is emitting a strange white noise, almost sounds like a broken radio & now I’m trying to figure out how to rid of that. Thought I solved my problem but looks like I just made a new one ;( Although, I do notice this sound only happens when the charger is plugged in? Maybe its a cord issue?

Power shouldn't interfere like that. Try the flip five technique. Plug it in and press and release all buttons at once. Ta da!

My flip 4 doesn’t work since a week now, I can’t recharge it, the light doesn’t go on, I use the official cable, I tried every combinaison of button, doesn’t work, the warranty was for 1 year, it stopped to work after 1 year and 1 month, looks like I’ll have to take it appart :s

See My Post [ Pyro John ]

This method works. Don't take it apart! Don't throw it against the wall!

Just keep at it….untill………BINGO!

After disassembling my speaker and reseatting the blue end of the small white ribbon, hard-reset and all, couldn't get my Flip 4 to turn on or recharge using any Phone or original charger.

Then I took a closer look at the inside and noticed and unplugged white rectangular connector. Took off the right speaker, plugged the connector back in and voilà!

My speaker was working fine, and I pressed the connect button and plus button at the same time for several seconds and the speaker stopped working, I figured it was some type of factory reset. None of the light would come on unless I plugged the power cord in and then the power button would light up. So with the power plugged in, I pressed the connect button and plus button at the same time and held them down until one of the power level led's at the bottom of the speaker flashed red approx. 10 seconds and the speaker started working normal again... Hope this helps....

I held the power button down for 30 seconds and it work!

So I tried the blue cable tip and thee connect plus light & Bluetooth light turned on but the actual speaker didn't I'm so frustrated right now is here any way to fix my speaker should I just trash it

Just happened to my jbl 4. No wonder it was on sale. :( :(

Just put your finger on the on/off button and keep it there until It opens. Yeah that’s easy!

FIX!!!!!This i found on another site and it FIXED MINEMy speaker was working fine, and I pressed the connect button and plus button at the same time for several seconds and the speaker stopped working, I figured it was some type of factory reset. None of the light would come on unless I plugged the power cord in and then the power button would light up. So with the power plugged in, I pressed the connect button and plus button at the same time and held them down until one of the power level led's at the bottom of the speaker flashed red approx. 10 seconds and the speaker started working normal again... Hope this helps....

Spam the turn on button works thank me later

Yesterday I used my JBL FLIP 4 till the battery gone empty . When I arrived back home I let it to charge for one night, hoping that next day it will be “alive” again and ready for use. But surprise ! My speaker it seems to be still empty because he`s not reacting to “Power” button. Only the red light is keeping flashing while he stay on charge.

I must make a remark : after the the JBL FLIP 4 shut down, I tried one more time to open it and play music again till he shut down again. Is it possible to damage the battery in this way ? Did anyone have any idea what can be the solution ?

Just update using the JBL Connect App

Just update using the JBL Connect App. Should be helpful. If that doesn’t work contact them to check if you have a warranty left.

I’ve figured it out.

1. turn on your JBL FLIP 4.
  2. press bluetooth button. Then you can see blue colour light blinking.
  3. then press and hold volume up ( + ) button and play button till it switch off.
  4. now my jbl working totally fine. I hope this will help you people..

Try it. No blue light. Nada

The system doesn’t want to switch on. when I plug the charger cable in and before I connect the electricity, the power button lightens up showing a  white light but the system still do not do not want to switch on?

Disassembled as the first box. Battery checks 3.9 volts. Okay

The ribbon cable from the on / off switch had no safe contact in the slot. I pulled this out and put it in again. Box can be started. Connect still checked all plug connections. Everything reassembled.

Sam issue, drop the speaker from the countertop and stopped working, does not turn on nor charging.

my fix:

pry open the mesh from the opposite side of volume buttons

unscrew four screws lock the top and bottom ring

pry from [flip4] charging port side ring

remove four screws for the charging port

remove the black rubber

issues: the ribbon cable was loose, pushed in further and fixed.

if it does not reach long enough, lift the charging module and pull out more cables

Yo, everybody. It's 2 years now. I diagnosed it after writing here. It was motherboard. After connecting it aux with USB charging simultaneously it died :(

So that's it :(

Yes I have a JBL speakers and I don't know what to do cause when I try to turn it on all it does is try to come on but want it just does that humming noise and a red light is on what do I need to y

The problem is usually the little circuit bands detaching from the little clip they're in. There's several things inside the speaker that can detach from each other so tare it open, find it , fix it and most important, DON'T CRY!

https://youtu.be/lvI9mmwoRQU

He will show you how to fix it

I know how to fix it

I lock my JBL flip 4 and it won’t turn on no more I try everything and I look it up at YouTube and it didn’t work plz someone help.

Try flip 5 technique yet? Plug it in and press And release all buttons at once....

take it apart and push all the wiers back in place

that is true and it wont turn on

i need help turning on my jbl flip 4

my jbl wont turn on at all evry since last night

I try everything. Work good for about 5 month now its a lice of crap

take it aparet and push all the wirers back in place

Hi guys I had the same problem. To reduce the bass I tried to push some buttons together and the device shut off. I could not turn it on again, just charging but with no chances to turn it off and on again while charging. SO I tried many combinations and the one that worked for me is: while is charging be sure the led is blinking and the power button led is on. If that is the case holding the triangle/play button and the bluetooth button together should turn it off and since then let you turn it on again. To set the bluetooth on your paired device just push the bluetooth button on the device again and then connect it through your paired device, for me it works.

I had the same issue with my flip 5 even though it was fully charged it would not respond, I pressed and held Bluetooth and power simultaneously and then pressed the plus sign button, it came straight on and is working fine again now, hope this helps!!

My jbl flip shows that it's charging, however it will not turn on at all and doesn't come on at all.How do I fix this,?

I have a JBL 5 and it has the charging light flashing even when it isn’t plugged in but it won’t turn on. I’ve tried every combination, I’ve even tried hitting it and it still won’t work. Please help me, it’s only a few months old

There's one that will work for you in here. But be careful you don't change the language doing a button hold one. Lol. And there is no %#*@ need to pull it apart. So don't!

Trust me, there's something below that will work. I've left mine playing in the sun and it got really hot and sparks literally flew from the %#*@ thing . It's happened 3 times. I just let it cool down and it works again. Plus mine wouldn't come on or charge or nothing. Plugging it in and unplugging it a few times worked, also holding all the buttons worked. If you ask me, thank God JBL put all these safety and overcurrent protection in their flip 5. Id rather have to find a forum that had what worked to reset mine for the issue that caused it, than have to go buy another one 4 times and be out 500 bucks.

Today my Flip 5 was working just fine then i decided to update the firmware. Worst decision ever. The update failed and my speaker powered down and is now unresponsive. Even when I plug the charger no lights come on. All I’m get is the power button lighting up for like 5 seconds only after i long-press it for about 10 seconds. I’ve tried all the combinations out there even some things that have appeared on this thread, and still no joy. If anyone has a fix, please help.

Dima will be eternally grateful.