Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

New LG refrigerator and it has stopped cooling after hurrican

Hurricane Irma passed and my new LG refrigerator has stopped cooling. What could be the problem?

Louis Foster what model is your fridge? Everything else works just not cooling?

I have the same problem, except now it's now freezing

it's not freezing

I had partial power during the hurricane. I ran an extension cord from neighbor and it still doesn't work right

New LG refrigerator compartment stopped working on Christmas morning. Glass bottles of milk exploded . Cleaned the frozen milk up and now refrigerator will not work but the freezer seems to be working fine

The first thing I would do is look around the neighborhood tonight and see if there are any lights on.

Did it get knocked over or flooded out or receive an electrical surge.

Cause 1

Condenser Coils are Dirty

The condenser coils are usually located under the refrigerator. They dissipate heat as refrigerant passes through them. If the condenser coils are dirty, they won’t dissipate the heat effectively. As debris builds up on the coils, the refrigerator becomes less efficient, causing the refrigerator to work harder to cool down. If the coils are significantly dirty, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the proper temperature. Check the condenser coils to determine if they are dirty—if the condenser coils are dirty, clean them.

Cause 2

Condenser Fan Motor

The condenser fan motor draws air though the condenser coils and over the compressor. If the condenser fan motor is not working properly, the refrigerator won’t cool properly. To determine if the fan motor is defective, first check the fan blade for obstructions. Next, try turning the fan motor blade by hand. If the blade does not spin freely, replace the condenser fan motor. If no obstructions are present and the fan blade spins freely, use a multimeter to test the fan motor for continuity. If the condenser fan motor does not have continuity, replace it.

Cause 3

Evaporator Fan Motor

The evaporator fan motor draws air over the evaporator (cooling) coils and circulates it throughout the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Some refrigerators have more than one evaporator fan motor. On refrigerators with only one evaporator, the evaporator is located in the freezer compartment. If the evaporator fan is not working, it will not circulate the cold air to the refrigerator compartment. If this occurs, the freezer may still get cold, while the refrigerator will not get cold. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor.

very useful~

If you open the door and the lights don't come on you need to check voltage and polarity at your power source.

If you have lights the display should also be lite. Adjust your temperatures to 0*f in freezer and 36*f in fresh food.

Some LGs have to be turned on after a power failure. Usually the sequence of buttons to push at the same time is on the display or in the owners manual.

Next, pull out unit and remove the back access panel carefully. Is the fan next to the compressor running? If not, remove the access panel above the compressor. 3 screws hold it in place. BE CAREFUL this is the main control board and at some connections there is 300 + volts. You want to look for a blinking light. Count the number of blinks.

If no blinking light, unplug the refrigerator.

There is 1 sometimes 2 fuses located on the board. Check with a meter for ohms/resistance. You can gently pull the fuses out. They are about an inch long, round glass fuse. You can visually look for the broken wire too if you don't have a meter. The fuses have their size on them. Most hardware stores carry them.

"If no blinking light, unplug the refrigerator." My fuses are ok. OK, then what? LG Model=LSXS26326S

My symptoms=No cooling in fridge or freezer. Condenser & fan below are running. Evaporator fan in freezer/fridge runs -- seems like only when I open the freezer door??! and the air is not so cold coming into the freezer. I touched the coils below and they are cool to the touch, upper parts are cooler.

Shahij Konset - I need the ask about the compressor and condenser located behavior nd the unit. Don’t unplug it yet. Pull the unit away from the wall so I’ll oh can have room You can remove the access panel at the bottom of refrigerator You’ll be looking at a compressor, it should be running. Is it running? You should see a fan turning. Is the fan turning? The condenser coils should be slightly warm. The compressor should be running and warm. Is the compressor hot? Is there a lot of dust on the coils?

Thank you for your reply LadyTech,

Model No.=LSXS26326S /01

Product Code= GM-L267NSGL.ASTCNA1

Date of Purchase= May 2016

The compressor is humming/vibrating and the fan is running. The coils have some dust on them which I cleaned. Coils or compressor are not hot.

I opened the top panel - and saw the big capacitors that I stayed away from. Without taking the 2 fuses out - there is some continuity/ohm with the fuses. The green LED on the board never lights up or blinks when I plug the unit in - or I never saw it led up. BTW. I checked and the fan in fridge do work when I close the door (as I tested with a magnet on door as if it was closed).

Thank you.

Sean.

Shahin Monsef, you did real good with this information and staying away from the capacitor. After you cleaned the coils did it start to cool? If the unit still isn’t cooling or freezing it sounds like you could have a bad board. If your comfortable with a multimeter and checking voltage, there are 2 checks on the board you can do to determine if it’s the board or the compressor. Let me know if you want to do them. I’m gonna pull the diagram up and I’ll be right back

Sean, have you noticed any oil on or near the compressor or condenser coils? The coils sit in the drain pan n sometimes erode n leak. If you see oil you won’t need to do the PCB tests. With unit off, remove the panel to the main board/PCB above the compressor.There is a square test button on the board. It is black n looks different than everything else. Look for con201. This connection will have these words by it CAPACITOR COM. POWER. It might be located middle bottom. I might be wrong on the “con201” so look for the words. Pull the connector off. Plug unit in push the test button 1 time you’ll hear a beep. With meter set for at least 200vAC put 1 lead on capacitor prong on board-far left. The other lead on POWER prong -far right. This should be done within 30 secs. If you need to start over just unplug unit wait a minute the start again You should have 200vAC +- Does the led on PCB blink? If so how many times? Your done. Unplug unit, put the connector back on PCB. Let me know what you found.

My lg stopped working . The freezer had thawed out and ice maker stopped making ice . I have cleaned the coils as best I can there was a lot of dust on them . Now my freezer seems to work by the fridge and ice maker still don’t work. Any help would be great. I’m right now trying to find the power print to see if the pcb flashes

Do you have a side by side or French door with freezer on the bottom? Please send my del number

Upper part runs at about 39 to 40 degrees, Freezer sets at 22 to 28 degrees. Sears has been here 5 times, changed the main power board, the thermistor for the freezer and now they say it needs a compressor. Should I junk the unit or let them put in a new compressor, at my expense?

My Lg is doing the same exact thing. I had Sears out yesterday. Of course when he checked, it "was just out of warranty". The tech told me to cut my losses and junk it. He said we could try replacing the compressor but no guarantee that it would fix the problem. Ugh! I don't want to junk it! Spent $165 yesterday for nothing. Its near impossible to find anyone who even wants to work on Lgs. I'll never buy another.

Debbie, I work on LG everyday. Are you in Texas?

No. I am in Pennsylvania Lady Tech. I still have it running. Pressed the ice plus button yesterday. Now frig is 39 and freezer is 29. Not sure what to try next. My husband is an electrician and does not usually work on appliances but can replace parts if he knows what needs changing. Is there a chance that the condenser fan motor could still be working but not at optimal speed? It was pretty dirty around the fan, coils not so much.

Debbie, the coils in the back need to be cleaned. A vacuum with a hose works good. MrClean sells an appliance brush that can get in the coils easy or maybe you have a brush or even a paint brush will work. Unplug it to clean the.

Before cleaning the coils can you answer these for me?

Is the compressor is real hot to touch.

Do you hear a clicking sound near the compressor.?Your husband would recognize the sound of a relay kicking in.

Do you see any oil near the compressor or condenser or copper lines?

Is the back wall in freezer frozen or frosty?

Is this a side by side or freezer in the bottom?

We cleaned the coils, compressor not hot, no clicking, no oil anywhere and the back wall is not frozen at all. This is a 2 door with freezer on bottom. We sermt it to "ice plus" this weekend and that kept the frig at 39 and the freezer at 31. This morning the frig is back up to 50 but the freezer is holding at 31. Thanks for any advice. I would hate to see this refrigerator end up in a land fill.

After spending $200 to try to fix, we took the Sears repairmans's advice and just bought a new refrigerator. He said purchase just the old fashioned stripped down mechanical kind without all the bells and whistles( non digital). I ended up buying a Kenmore. It does have an automatic icemaker. It was over $800 but on sale for Memorial Day. Between the sale, free delivery using my Shop your Way points and a recycling rebate from our local utility company, it ended up costing me $331. Wish I hadn't spent the $200 trying to fix it. Its not as pretty as my LG but it makes ice like nobody's business. All of my appliances in my kitchen are now Kenmore. The repairman told me if the model # starts with a 795 that means it's a Kenmore that is made by LG. Do not buy those.

I have an LMXS30776S Fridge that have stopped cooling. Had a repairman to look at it. He first replaced the Main board. It still did not work. He charged 500.00 dollars to replace. He came back and said it was the evaporator that need to be replaced. I would cost 1000.00 to replace, but the part was covered under warranty. Replacing a LG evaporator is that difficult to do? I think 1000.00 dollars is too much for replace one part. I want to fix it myself. Is is very hard to do?

Theyartis Edwards- most evaporators are under $100. I don’t know where you live but in the US an estimate of $500 would be high. I’d suggest getting a second opinion. In the US you need to be certified by the EPA and registered to work on the deal system. It’s a very detailed, complicated process that requires many expensive tools, gauges, R134a and must show certificate/HVAC to purchase, torches, brazing rods, scales, vacuum pump, recovery pump etc. Don’t attend it. You can easily hurt or kill yourself or others.

I have a lg lsxs26336v with side by side doors. Tried disconnecting it for 10 minutes & Cleaning it.

>The compressor is on as well as it’s fan. the coils are mostly clean.

When I tried the “smart diagnostic “ it initially said the “door was left open”, then it said “defrost mode was activated” , and finally said no problem found.

Still not cooling/freezing. Ice is gone, food is thawed and spoiled.

Having the exact same thing with the same refrigerator. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Javier Betancourt and Melissa Garza. If your positive the compressor, the condenser fan and evaporator fans are all working at the same time and the unit isn’t cold, then you could have an issue in the sealed system. That can only be repaired by an EPA certified refrigeration technician. .

Similar issue with LMXS30776S. Smart Diagnostic says “defrost mode is activated” and summary says no problem found. Frig only cools to 60 F, Freezer to 50F. Frig is 16 months old. Should I cut my losses and buy a new frig?

I have a 3 year old Kenmore Elite and after a power surge the compressor stopped working and didnt find out til a day later when everything was thawed. Everything on the frig works but the compressor and have power coming from board to it. I unplugged it and plugged back in and there is a clicking noise coming from circuit board so assuming it is the board. I have a tech coming out 5 days later and decided to plug it back in today and now it is working again like normal. Is there a reset that could have been done?

Seyberts Billard Supply-by unplugging the unit the board reset itself. It was thrown off from the power going off. The clicking was a relay in the board. There are several components on the board to protect it from power surges, over amping, etc. Sounds like you got lucky. Leave it plugged in with some non perishable items, like bottled water, soda and beer in it to help it hold the temperature. Put some bowls of water in freezer. It should be frozen in 24-48 hours. Ice maker should start working in 48 hrs. Once the water freezes it should be ok to put food in and cancel the service call. Most appliance can be reset by unplugging them. Of course, if there’s an issue that won’t fix it.

I have a lg fridge this model LMXS30776S/01 Lg  compresor turn on like 5 min and then goes off condenser fan motor it’s working good I check the power that coming from the main board and it looks liked the main board don’t sent continue power and the board status blinks 6 times and off and light 6 times and off any idea what could be the problem on this fridge?

My Kenmore Elite/LG eight months old —-bottom freezer stopped freezing a week ago. Sears tech came out got all instructions to check over cell phone from another tech. It was decided a compressor was needed.

Was replaced today now waiting for ice maker to kick on. Nothing is even getting slushy yet in freezer.

I bought an extended warranty today. So sick. Don’t even have this frig paid off. !!!!!!!!

It will take at least 48 hrs for that box to reach temperature. The ice maker will be the last to start working. They should have told you this. You will need to put things like water, sodas and other non parishables in the fresh food section to help the unit get colder faster and hold the tempature. In the freezer place a bowl of water or bottles of water without the lid on, in side. When it freezes it’s ready to put food in.

I have a lg lsxs26366s/00 it's not cooling properly seems like freezer about fridge temp and the fridge is slightly warmer I pulled the back cover off and fan it on compressor is running it's very hot to the touch any ideas I'm in the dfw area and not against having someone come out and take a look

Lady tech what part of texas do you service?

Louis Foster will be eternally grateful.