Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

New LG refrigerator and it has stopped cooling after hurrican

Hurricane Irma passed and my new LG refrigerator has stopped cooling. What could be the problem?

Louis Foster what model is your fridge? Everything else works just not cooling?

I have the same problem, except now it's now freezing

it's not freezing

I had partial power during the hurricane. I ran an extension cord from neighbor and it still doesn't work right

New LG refrigerator compartment stopped working on Christmas morning. Glass bottles of milk exploded . Cleaned the frozen milk up and now refrigerator will not work but the freezer seems to be working fine

The first thing I would do is look around the neighborhood tonight and see if there are any lights on.

Did it get knocked over or flooded out or receive an electrical surge.

Cause 1

Condenser Coils are Dirty

The condenser coils are usually located under the refrigerator. They dissipate heat as refrigerant passes through them. If the condenser coils are dirty, they won’t dissipate the heat effectively. As debris builds up on the coils, the refrigerator becomes less efficient, causing the refrigerator to work harder to cool down. If the coils are significantly dirty, the refrigerator will not be able to maintain the proper temperature. Check the condenser coils to determine if they are dirty—if the condenser coils are dirty, clean them.

Cause 2

Condenser Fan Motor

The condenser fan motor draws air though the condenser coils and over the compressor. If the condenser fan motor is not working properly, the refrigerator won’t cool properly. To determine if the fan motor is defective, first check the fan blade for obstructions. Next, try turning the fan motor blade by hand. If the blade does not spin freely, replace the condenser fan motor. If no obstructions are present and the fan blade spins freely, use a multimeter to test the fan motor for continuity. If the condenser fan motor does not have continuity, replace it.

Cause 3

Evaporator Fan Motor

The evaporator fan motor draws air over the evaporator (cooling) coils and circulates it throughout the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Some refrigerators have more than one evaporator fan motor. On refrigerators with only one evaporator, the evaporator is located in the freezer compartment. If the evaporator fan is not working, it will not circulate the cold air to the refrigerator compartment. If this occurs, the freezer may still get cold, while the refrigerator will not get cold. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor.

If you open the door and the lights don't come on you need to check voltage and polarity at your power source.

If you have lights the display should also be lite. Adjust your temperatures to 0*f in freezer and 36*f in fresh food.

Some LGs have to be turned on after a power failure. Usually the sequence of buttons to push at the same time is on the display or in the owners manual.

Next, pull out unit and remove the back access panel carefully. Is the fan next to the compressor running? If not, remove the access panel above the compressor. 3 screws hold it in place. BE CAREFUL this is the main control board and at some connections there is 300 + volts. You want to look for a blinking light. Count the number of blinks.

If no blinking light, unplug the refrigerator.

There is 1 sometimes 2 fuses located on the board. Check with a meter for ohms/resistance. You can gently pull the fuses out. They are about an inch long, round glass fuse. You can visually look for the broken wire too if you don't have a meter. The fuses have their size on them. Most hardware stores carry them.

"If no blinking light, unplug the refrigerator." My fuses are ok. OK, then what? LG Model=LSXS26326S

My symptoms=No cooling in fridge or freezer. Condenser & fan below are running. Evaporator fan in freezer/fridge runs -- seems like only when I open the freezer door??! and the air is not so cold coming into the freezer. I touched the coils below and they are cool to the touch, upper parts are cooler.

Shahij Konset - I need the ask about the compressor and condenser located behavior nd the unit. Don’t unplug it yet. Pull the unit away from the wall so I’ll oh can have room You can remove the access panel at the bottom of refrigerator You’ll be looking at a compressor, it should be running. Is it running? You should see a fan turning. Is the fan turning? The condenser coils should be slightly warm. The compressor should be running and warm. Is the compressor hot? Is there a lot of dust on the coils?

Thank you for your reply LadyTech,

Model No.=LSXS26326S /01

Product Code= GM-L267NSGL.ASTCNA1

Date of Purchase= May 2016

The compressor is humming/vibrating and the fan is running. The coils have some dust on them which I cleaned. Coils or compressor are not hot.

I opened the top panel - and saw the big capacitors that I stayed away from. Without taking the 2 fuses out - there is some continuity/ohm with the fuses. The green LED on the board never lights up or blinks when I plug the unit in - or I never saw it led up. BTW. I checked and the fan in fridge do work when I close the door (as I tested with a magnet on door as if it was closed).

Thank you.

Shahin Monsef, you did real good with this information and staying away from the capacitor. After you cleaned the coils did it start to cool? If the unit still isn’t cooling or freezing it sounds like you could have a bad board. If your comfortable with a multimeter and checking voltage, there are 2 checks on the board you can do to determine if it’s the board or the compressor. Let me know if you want to do them. I’m gonna pull the diagram up and I’ll be right back

Sean, have you noticed any oil on or near the compressor or condenser coils? The coils sit in the drain pan n sometimes erode n leak. If you see oil you won’t need to do the PCB tests. With unit off, remove the panel to the main board/PCB above the compressor.There is a square test button on the board. It is black n looks different than everything else. Look for con201. This connection will have these words by it CAPACITOR COM. POWER. It might be located middle bottom. I might be wrong on the “con201” so look for the words. Pull the connector off. Plug unit in push the test button 1 time you’ll hear a beep. With meter set for at least 200vAC put 1 lead on capacitor prong on board-far left. The other lead on POWER prong -far right. This should be done within 30 secs. If you need to start over just unplug unit wait a minute the start again You should have 200vAC +- Does the led on PCB blink? If so how many times? Your done. Unplug unit, put the connector back on PCB. Let me know what you found.

My lg stopped working . The freezer had thawed out and ice maker stopped making ice . I have cleaned the coils as best I can there was a lot of dust on them . Now my freezer seems to work by the fridge and ice maker still don’t work. Any help would be great. I’m right now trying to find the power print to see if the pcb flashes

Louis Foster will be eternally grateful.