The Acer Chromebook CB3-431-C5EX is a fourteenth generation Chromebook released in May 2016. The 14-inch Acer Chromebook 14 is made to have a full HD screen and up to twelve hours of battery life.

Keyboard replacement full teardown? Acer Chromebook 14

Have been unable to find any teardown info regarding keyboard replacement. Do I have to gut the case to get to it or is there an easier way? Such as from the top.

I’m guessing that means there is no way since you’ve had no answer? I need to replace mine.... if you found how it would be most useful! Thank you!

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Did you try to find a service manual? That would most likely tell you how to disassemble the device.

I have not been able to locate a service manual nor any video instructions on keyboard replacement for this model.

Based on the limited guides we have on this site for this Chromebook, and a picture of a replacement keyboard on another site, (link here) I would assume that the keyboard is held in with screws around the edge of the keyboard.

These Chromebooks aren't very difficult to disassemble, so removing the guts from your current machine shouldn't be too difficult. Once the motherboard, battery, and possibly the speakers are removed, you can begin looking to see if the keyboard is held in with screws. If it is, you're in luck! Just buy a new keyboard. If it's those little plastic pop rivets, I'm sure you can make do with either remelting a little plastic on each point, or using a little glue. Good luck with the repair!

- Jasen

Thanks, I have the replacement. Just getting up the nerve to tear into it and see. I've been getting by using the virtual keyboard and that's getting really old!

It looks like a simple teardown. I've opened these up before and taken them apart about as far as they can go. I'd say maybe 10 pieces in total. But if it's worrisome to you, you can always use an external keyboard. The only way you'll learn is if you try!

kleebro kleebro will be eternally grateful.