Unibody MacBook Pro models with 13" displays produced from 2009-2012.

Friend deactivated my fan... how to start it up again? Please help!

I was hosting an exchange student when my MacBook Pro 13" a1278's fan decided to become "crazy loud" and never stop.

Aden (the exchange student) who is a MacBook Pro Pro, said he would disable it for me so I would not have to listen to it until my parts came in and I could replace it.

Aden is now in Israel with no service and I'm not sure when he will be able to get back to me.

I've replaced the fan and all tests come back all good.... I don't know anything except he typed in some things at command prompt which turned the fan off. I'm going on two weeks with no fan and a super HOT Mac.

I am worried it's going to melt something major.

Please Help.

STOP USING YOUR COMPUTER! The heat damages the logic inside, wearing the computer down tenfold compared to the fan being on.

Not true. It will not damage it, but it will cause the CPU to thermal throttle. Don't worry about melting anything because it won't.

The worst that will happen is that it will shut down on high temp.

Most Helpful Answer

See if you can re-enable it with this program.

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

Probably a terminal command. I do not have my standard resources available while I'm traveling. Google Mac and terminal command and fan. Should be a simple fan yes or no command

I have read through pages and pages on google and have yet to find the correction.... ANY further information would be of enormous value. Thank you in advance for your time and effort. Kindest Regards, Suzi

@suzimac just got home today from iFixit conference and am beat. Will get back to work in the morning and see if I can find you an answer.

@suzimac have you tried the fan control app I suggested?

We really need to know what your friend did to do this so that the cure is not worse than the problem. We don't want to end up giving your machine conflicting instructions. If you do it may turn into a HAL 9000.

Hello, I downloaded the app and nothing... then I downloaded "smcfancontrol" and it just keeps sending me a message asking for my pw bc it wants "to make changes" every ten minutes... I also have 2 seperate gages now giving me 2 different readings. Right now 1 looks like "122F 3997rpm" and the other "109F 4002rpm" Do I have 2 seperate fans? I have no idea what sort of mess I've created now. BUT! I have heard the fan intermittently ingage for a short time and then turn off... Is my computer not hot enough? UGH! I've waited a few days in hopes of receiving word but no luck. I only know what I've already shared unfortuniatly. How was the "iFixit" coference? I hope you are well. Thank you for all of your help!!

Have you tried a simple SMC reset yet? I would give that a go first. Here's how: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

How do you know your system is getting toasty? do you have a monitoring app loaded? If you do can you tell us what it is. It could be the app you have on your system is in fact controlling things.

I'm not a lover of smcFanControl, as its quite easy to misconfigure it which can hurt your system. The temps you now have are within the normal zone but your fans are running hard.

I would get TG Pro its just a better product. The old adage 'you get what you pay for' is true here.

I also think you've mis-marked what you have for a system here as the 13" models have only one fan as Tim pointed out (@tcrs_circuit). Lets double check what you have here as I suspect you may need some parts. Plug in your systems S/N here: EveryMac - Lookup. Once you know what you have paste the URL here for us to see.

I'm thinking your heat pipe has lost its coolant.

Hello, I did do the reset and nothing... I've been waiting to hear from my friend and again, nothing... I have installed "smcFancontrol" and now I have 2 gages with two different readings.... Did I do something wrong (again)? I do worry about the heat just bc it's so hot to the touch though not so much after installing the smc app. As I'm typing this the one on the left reads "120F 4000rpm" and the one on the right reads "108F 4002rpm" ... Is this okay do you think? I can't find any literature about it... Thank you for your help!

You have 1 fan. Your CPU temps are fine until it gets to at least 205*F.

Suzi will be eternally grateful.