A1706 / EMC 3071—Released in November 2016, this 13" Macbook Pro introduces the OLED Touch Bar. Features a dual-core "Skylake" Intel Core i5 CPU and four Thunderbolt 3 ports.

A1706 A1707 and A1708 Keyboard Compatibility?

I have the opportunity to get hold of some A1706/A1707/A1708 keyboards, and was wondering if anyone has replaced the keyboard on this model yet? There is not a really high demand for the newer models yet in the UK, but seeing as how the 12" UK keyboards are now being sold for £120+, I want to get them while they are cheap :)

I'm hesitant since the Touch Bar models have a chip on the logic board which communicates with the Touch Bar (I assume it is linked similar to Touch ID on iPhones, in the sense that it has to be programmed when changed), and I am not sure if it IDs the keyboard in any way, due to the newer Retina keyboards having ICs on the back.

If anyone has replaced a keyboard successfully on this model please pipe up!

Sorry for the delay, i've been on holiday! thanks @mayer for the heads up on this question.

Apple sell the touch ID as part of the logic board, so it is very much like iOS devices in that sense. You cannot swap the touch ID on its own without having a matching logic board for security.

The keyboard has its own dedicated socket, so although it is much more complicated a design to earlier models, the keyboard is not mapped or altered (as some MacBook air models are) by the logic an IC.

Saying that, i've not had the need to strip out the keyboard from the top case chassis yet, so haven't experimented with its removal yet. But just be aware, the keycaps are different to the 12" models. We've classed them as a new type on our system because the clips are different thicknesses and have different alignment to the 12" versions. (most dont know this, but there are actually 2 different colour keycaps, so when you are ordering keyboards, try and specify if you are getting the space grey, or the silver/gold keyboard for the 12", or the space grey or silver version in the 13" and 15" 2016/17 models. its a very slight colour difference, but enough to notice if you have one of each keycap next to each other.

That's great, thanks for your input. Seems like the keyboards are not linked to the Touch ID in any way; the ICs on the back of the keyboard must solely be for the keyboard backlight like the 12" models

Most Helpful Answer

The most knowledgeable keyboard company is right in your backyard in Liverpool:

http://www.thebookyard.com

Let's see if John can help on this, he's a contributor to this site:

Jon Ridley

@thebookyard

I have one of these machines with a liquid damage. The keyboard does not work, thinking about replacing it, but can't find any video about it online, just one about tearing apart the machine, by PowerMedic, but they do not remove the battery or the backlight or the keyboard, so I am a bit scared. I have replaced about 200 macbook keyboards, but first time new model... any help? Thanks!

Hi. Strangely enough I was just about to post a new question on this; I own a A1708 which needed a battery and keyboard replacement. The battery needs to be removed along with a small plate above it, to access the keyboard, but the issue I am having is with the rivets themselves; Apple have designed them on this model to snap and leave a small amount of the rivet inside the hole, preventing a screw from going in (no matter if you pull the rivet, snap it out, whatever).

Going to post a question here when I get a chance to see if anyone has a solution for this, I took a picture of the keyboard removed the other day which I'll include, and I'll give a brief explanation as to how you get to that point :)

Reece will be eternally grateful.