MacBook Pro models with 13" displays

Why is my screen black and making 3 beeping sounds

The screen is black and when the power light blinks it will beep in a morse code type- 3 short beeps, 3 long , 3 short.

Three long tones, three short tones, three long tones: EFI ROM corruption is detected, and your Mac is in EFI ROM recovery mode. Newer computers automatically recover from a corrupted ROM; when this occurs, a progress bar appears on the screen during ROM recovery mode. Don't disturb your Mac while the ROM recovery takes place. When recovery is complete, your Mac restarts.

What exact model do you have?

UPDATE

There are 12 A1278 models. Please pick yours from this list:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-loo...

Do you know what system you are running or what update you have been trying to install?

A1278 is the model number

I usually try to keep it pretty you to date but I do not use it enough. Rarely even.

The only new thing I have is a new charger and I believe it is not Apple so this is my only conclusion

Your exact model really could make a difference in a correct answer, please go here and enter the serial number from the back of your machine to find the exact model: http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-loo...

Are you the original owner? Has anything happened to this machine, repairs, any type of damage?

Let's try doing a SMC reset. Follow this Apple T/N: Resetting SMC on your Mac. Did that fix things?

Here is another thing you can try. Not a specific fix for your situation but I've had luck with trying all of the resets and seeing what works.

Remove one stick of RAM. Press power button. Immediately hold down P, R, Command and Option keys and held them down. Hold the keys down through 3 cycles of the (tone, chime).

Then switch to the other RAM stick and repeat.

This is actually an EFI reset (you can't do this on the newer machines. It can only be done with a RAM change and only once per change. So not knowing what model you have it might not work.

Brandon Tipton will be eternally grateful.