Released on September 19, 2014, this 4.7" screen iPhone is the smaller version of the iPhone 6 Plus. Identifiable by the model numbers A1549, A1586, and A1589.

My phone won't charge unless the charging cable is just right

The connection between my charging cable and the phone is very finicky. I have to wiggle the cable to start the charging process. The slightest bump, and charging stops.

The phone is over two years old and the problem started in the last few months.

I have tried different cables but nothing seems to help.

i have this problem to

I too have a problem charging iPad Pro !!!

All the cables I have including original Apple bought recently , are useless. They are not recognized by the tablet.

Fortunately I still have an old cable that I bought a long time ago but did not use it regularly because it was not long enough. By accident I did ‘t throw him in the garbage..I still have the cable that I have been charging for a long time but I used some force because it was not long enough. By accident I did not throw him in the garbage. Desperate I searched a solution when I saw that I can not load my iPad Pro fo witch I pay a lot of money. And surprise . It loads it. All those recently bought did not. Then I went to a store and asked to sell me lightning cables for two years ago. They flipped through the warehouse and gave me the last three pieces they had. Surprise again . ALL HAVE BEEN RECOGNIZED BY THE IPAD .

Conclusion ? Either the old cables have something extra or maybe the recent production one has something missing .

GIVE TOOLS. FIX FOREVER.

GIVE TOOLS.

FIX FOREVER.

Spread the Fixmas cheer.

GIVE TOOLS. FIX FOREVER.

Spread the Fixmas cheer.

Another tool you can use is a wood tooth pick, if you are still having problems replace your dock connector.

Ya; this is definitely what happens and it usually comes from pockets; there are only connecting clips on the bottom wall of the lightning slot; therefore I use a round toothpick and take my utility knife and after breaking the tip to establish the wood grains direction; I cut out flat both sides of my broken flat area and keep the tip as it is; as it now should be sharp flat and wide. now I try to stay against the top at all times and aim the tip towards the center of the back wall where the lint is accumulated and packed by you of course. lol Well you should be able to scrape it out with one shot each side. If not; keep at it and you will get it. be sure to mind those connectors. Hope this works for you as it well as it has been for me. Cheers and there should be a little cap that we could place on this hole for when we are not charging it.

Most Helpful Answer

Try raking the bottom of the lightning socket with something thin and stiff, such as a thin paperclip (or use the Probe and Pick Set) to remove the lint.

I had a similar issue with my iPhone 5S and the Apple Store guy took it back for 3 minutes and came back and all was well.

One giveaway is that the white plastic collar (for lack of a better term) doesn't sit flush against the phones body when the lightning cable is plugged in. Once that lint was removed, it was flush again and charging was back to normal.

[Update]

TL;DR

Toothpicks (wooden tools) are safer but may not tough enough.

I used metal tools but was careful not to mess with the metal pins.

___________

Yes, a toothpick (or anything wood) is certainly a lot safer than metal tools. The toothpicks I've used aren't hard enough to break up the cruft at the back wall of the port.

You could use a teflon spudger as an in-between that's stronger than wood but can't do damage like a metal pick would.

That being said, I recently had to clear out the lightning port a second time (on my iPhone 6s) and I used my metal tools without issue. The pins are located on the floor/ceiling of the port chamber so I mostly kept clear of the pins by sticking to the back wall to break up the packed cruft.

Probe and Pick Set Image

Product

Probe and Pick Set

$6.99

No don't ever put any metal in the charging port you can cause a short and end up with a paper weight phone

what you should do is use a toothbrush and brush the charging port it gets clogged with lint over time

I used a whittled down toothpick and I could not believe how much lint came out!

I have only had to charge once since I cleaned the port, but there were no issues, the cable clicked in and started charging. I next cleaned my wife's phone which she has only had for two months and I found traces of lint there as well.

This suggestion sure save me some cash.

Thanks,

Anyone aware of a support device for the adapter coming out of recharge port, resting on hard surface but you need to use while recharging. This loosens the position of the port so it wobbles when doing this and it gets worse. Need some kind of stability device that also takes the pressure off the adapter being pushed into port and any movement damages port. Maybe some kind of good smartphone holder would take care of this problem that I have experience with?

James,

I suggest you look into buying a tripod designed specifically for mobile devices. They are actually quite ergonomic and allow for less stress on the cable significantly. It's great for those times where you're handling your device during it's charge. I will admit it does take some adjusting however its only minimal. The best way I would describe it is to imagine using your device while someone was holding it for you. Minus the fatigue and shakiness. The tripod I use is designed to support virtually any device. I use it between my 7 and 7+ seamlessly.

THANK YOU! I had exactly the same problem where my iPhone 6 Plus would no longer charge unless the USB cable was twisted to an extreme angle that was damaging to the cord. The advice to use a wooden toothpick to clean-out lint and dust from the Lightning charging port completely fixed the issue. Thank you for this simple, fast, and effective fix that is totally obvious but I did not think of!

Why don't you use the attachment of a vaccum cleaner to remove the lint. Or you can use a straw and suck it out. Wooden piece seems to loosen the contact connection further more.

I cleaned out the port and it still wont charge unless its at an angle :/

I would suggest getting a new charge port fitted

What I suggest is just lightly blowing on the charge port. If that doesn’t work, use a wooden toothpick (or a plastic one) and just very lightly take all the lint out.

If none of these options work, i’d suggest taking it to the Genius Bar. (or whatever your phone company does)

Roy Lewis will be eternally grateful.