The LG G4 was released in the US in early June 2015, as always focusing on high-end specifications and a refined fashion sense that makes it stand out in the premium smartphone market. Each version of the phone will have a different model number based on if it is sold by a carrier or sold by LG as a US Unlocked or International model.

How do I get the phone working for data recovery?

So, my LG G4 (H810) locked up, died and no longer turns on. At this point the phone is over 1 year old and is almost certainly out of warranty (or any "hidden" warranties). Neither AT&T or LG are probably going to help and I am likely limited to OOW repair. I have a 509K* phone, so mine is one of the early ones that are known to fail.

The problem with this is it'll not only cost more to send the phone to LG, but they will not get me any data back. The problem is I have pictures of my deceased cat on the phone and I will lose those forever, so I want the data more then I want another phone (I can replace the phone, but not the final pictures of my cat). I also don't want another LG G4, since LG may have botched the revised models and those may fail just as badly as the 1.0 phones.

The other problem is I encrypted the phone, so the data on the NAND flash isn't usable without the decryption key. Is there any known faults with this phone that are common if the phone does not turn on?

This is what I did:

Read me: The point of this fix is NOT to repair the phone. The Revision 1.0 G4's (which is what I have) have a known manufacturing defect that prevents the phone from being repaired reliably. The only way to have a phone that won't die again is to buy a new one or try your luck with LG.

The problem: If you send the phone to LG, you will NOT get your data back. If you need to recover your data, you will need to do this. Just be warned LG may not help you once you open the phone for data recovery.

• Take the back of the phone off and remove the battery.
  • Heat up the motherboard of the phone evenly. The temperature you set on the hot air station is going to be based on which one you have, but the board should be around 183 degrees Celsius or less. Heat the board up for ~4 minutes at the most. You can go longer if you have to do so, but be careful of the components on the board.
  • Put the battery back in. The phone will not boot without it.
  • Turn the phone on. The phone may complain about temperature and shut down, but this is okay. Let the phone cool down and try again later. More heat may be required depending on how long you waited.
  • If your phone locks up again, put a hairdryer set to low next to the phone on low as a way to help the phone maintain a temperature that will prevent it from crashing again. Note: In some cases, the phone will not charge the battery. DO NOT worry about this. As long as you do not overheat the phone, the phone should continue to operate.
  • Copy the pictures from the phone to a PC. If you need to pull any more data off of the dead phone (ex: Contacts, messages), repeat this procedure until everything is backed up and you have all of the data you care about.

Nick will be eternally grateful.