Model PowerBook 1400 Series. Released October 1996

PC Card Virtual Memory?

I have just pulled my old PowerBook 1400c with a G3 upgrade, out of storage. I've read about a few of the upgrade possibilities on Low End Mac and was wondering if anyone out there has installed a PC card for additional Virtual Memory.

I've read that you could run OS 9 on these machines with a 512 MB card for PC Card (it's currently running OS 8.6). Would that be an SD, camera type card? Also.... What about using a PC cardbus to USB adapter? Does the 1400c have enough power to run USB devices through the PC card?

Any other upgrade ideas would be so appreciated.

OK I've checked Mactracker and your unit will run OS 9.1. Normal max ram on your computer is 64 MB--Note MB not GB. The unit has two PC card slots so you should be able to install a USB card and a memory card. To prevent stain on the computer I would get a USB card that has a external power source. What are planning to use the computer for? You will probably find if you want the net that finding a suitable browser will take some searching. Good luck with your project. Ralph

Here is a link to some G3 browsers.

And you may want to post on Lowend Mac for advice on which memory card to use.

Thanks Ralph,

My RAM is maxed out at 64 MB and I'm using the same amount in virtual memory. Really, this is just a toy for me at the moment. Just wanted to see what I could do with the old PowerBook after coming across information to upgrade it. I had long ago written that machine off as being totally obsolete, which I guess it is. I may end up just selling it on eBay as a "vintage Mac". Ha!

Regarding your advise about the powered USB card, I found this one,

which looks like it will work, and has an optional power source.

That is troubling about not being able to use a current and secure browser. I will check in at Low End Mac.

I very much appreciate you help on this.

randy3833 will be eternally grateful.