Touch ID works, but Home Button does

After attempting to exchange the black ring from my space gray iPhone to a gold one, I ended up with a working touch ID function, but a non-working physical button. I have tested another home button assembly, which eliminated problems with the dock assembly or the motherboard, which seems to me that the problem is limited to the home button itself. Should I go to apple to get an out-of-warranty repair and get a functioning touch ID and home button, or is there any way I can fix this myself?

Apple won't touch the device at all if it shows obvious sign of modification, you HAVE TO fix this yourself.

Edward Pedemonte will be eternally grateful.