The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features fifth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, resulting in slightly increased performance and battery life.

Won't Boot - Mag Safe light stays orange, even when battery unplugged

No picture, no fans spinning. I've tried the I/O cable, power pads, and unplugging the battery and connecting the charger. The SMC reset changes the light of the charger to green temporarily, so the power button is working. PRAM did nothing of course.

The most unusual part to me is that the light stays orange, even when the battery is unplugged.

Here's a picture to prove I'm not crazy, forgive the quality:

Hi! I'm having the very same issue with the exact same model - MBP A1502 (13" Retina).

It won't power up and the charger is amber EVEN with the battery removed. Does anyone have an update on the probable cause because it's a fascinating new feature I have never seen before and by the looks of it, it only affects the 1502

Same issue too and model

I have the same issue right now and I have no clue what to do… If anyone has more recent information I would love a way to fix this

Most Helpful Answer

That orange light is not supposed to happen with the battery unplugged. Did it liquid damage, or impact damage?

Unplugging the battery and magsafe, then reconnecting the battery first then attaching the adapter should cause a spontaneous re-boot. What does yours do when you try this?

It does nothing, I was counting on that spontaneous re-boot. I work on MacBooks, and have never seen an orange light with an unplugged battery, hence this topic. The customer said there was no water damage, and the board looks great. The battery just fully charged, and Mag Safe went green. Still no boot. And when I unplug the fully charged battery, and re plug mag safe, it still goes orange.

I thought I had seen it all, but this is a new one on me. Let's see if @danj has a clue.

Thanks for giving it a shot. I've seen your avatar before in many other topics providing good answers. I'm going to see if I have a DC board for a 2015 to try, but it seemed to charge the battery like normal, turning green after it's been plugged in for 30 mins.

@mayer & Davey0110 - I think you'll need to poke around the logic board checking the power rails. If the MagSafe charger LED goes to Green then that implies the one wire signal & SMC are working properly. But there's more to the logic than just charging. Here it sounds like either the switch logic MOSFET or a cap is shorted out. Basically this is a logic board repair issue.

Thanks for your time Dan, I sent a query to Mr. Rossman to see if he has any input, since they have probably repaired a logic board or two.

Please, I would like an update on the solution of this issue because I am also a victim of this problem as well. I tried changing the DC board from a working mbp still no effect. but one thing that I did observed was if I removed the MagSafe and let it run on a battery charged from another mbp, it does boot but if connected to the MagSafe it does not come on.

Tengo una macbook air mid 2013 , el magsafe siempre está naranja sin la batería y con la batería. No importa cuántas horas lo deje es igual. Así que la desarmé, lavé con Flux el powerjack y dejé desconectada la batería y viola! revivió. El problema es que si conecto de nuevo la batería se muere y no quiere encender. Tuve que dejarla una noche completa desconectada de batería y me permitió encender y actualicé por usb a 11.13.6

Creo que en parte es problema del powerjack además de la batería pero hasta que consiga otra igual para probar podré saberlo.

P.D. Conseguí un cargador magsafe nuevo y original, de otro cliente y pasa igual , así que sigo confirmando mis sospechas con el powerjack

davey0110 will be eternally grateful.