Released June 2016, identified by model number A3003 in Europe, A3000 in China and North America (according to https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-3-regions-model-numbers.452381/)

Can I change the battery of my OnePlus 3 to a OnePlus 3T battery?

Hello All

The battery of my OnePlus 3 is giving me issues these days. I was wondering if I could replace the current battery with the 3400mah OnePlus 3T battery.

OnePlus 3 comes with a 3000mah battery whereas OnePlus 3T comes with a 3400mah battery. On the other hand, the device tree of both the devices is almost the same and people are even able to apply OnePlus 3T body to a OnePlus 3

Please let me know if such activity is possible and how should I proceed with it

Thank You

Most Helpful Answer

I try this and it doesn't work. Seem like Oneplus has patched it and it shows not compatible when I trying to boot up with a bigger battery

First source:

According to the official Oneplus team, you can't swap the batteries back and forth.

Second Source:

According to Jerryrigeverything: https://youtu.be/n1sg2y8OuJs?t=140

In his video, he says that although you could technically swap the batteries back and forth, the software on the Oneplus 3 and the Oneplus 3t differ. This makes it so that even if you put a Oneplus 3t battery into a Oneplus 3, you wouldn't get the 400mah increase due to software charging restrictions to prevent overcharging.

In my opinion, I wouldn't bother swapping batteries because you probably won't see any difference in battery life, and the Oneplus 3 software wasn't designed to use the Oneplus 3t battery.

I got one question: Isn't the software validating the charge of the battery by the voltage? With it doing that it will SAY 3000mAh and THINK you have 3000mAh but the voltage will drop not that fast and you will have a benefit anyway. + even if you cant use the extra 400 mAh wouldnt it be better for the battery not being maxxed all the time?

Holy necro, but the way Oneplus increased the mAh capacity was by relaxing the voltage restrictions, so the battery is charged to a slightly higher voltage. The op3 would just not charge it to that higher voltage, if it didn't start complaining because the battery isn't the right model number.

I wish it was as simple as Jerryrigeverything made it out to be, but I tried this a month ago and it's just not worth it the hassle. It did work, but only with the earliest rom, as soon as I updated it or flashed a custom rom I would either get the Linux penguin logo or I'd get a message while booting that the battery was incompatible. If you're in need of a new battery I seriously recommend going with the original battery. :)

The Oneplus 3T Battery has a slightly higher nominal voltage wich will interfere with the oneplus standard 3.8 nominal voltage. So it is not recommend and probably not possible to do it.

Tommy Vercaty will be eternally grateful.