Keurig Elite

Black and silver single cup coffee maker with water reservoir on the left hand side.

Leaks water when brewing ground coffee with a My K-Cup filter.

I own a Keurig Elite. My parents have a Keurig Special, and both have this problem. When I use the My K-Cup filter to add my own ground coffee and brew it, after it starts pouring out coffee, the machine starts leaking water at the same time, so typically the mug beneath the machine is filled partly with coffee and partly with hot water, so it gets very watered down. I think this comes from a design flaw, but it would be great if there is a way to fix this problem so that the My K-Cup filter will work as it is supposed to.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Click this link. It will take you to ebay and a new part that fixes My K-Cup leaks and other reusable K-Cups like Ekobrew Solofill Cafe Cup and EZ Cup. It's only $2.79 and guaranteed by money back and return postage paid. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-FIX-STOP-CO...

by Dennis Gaudette

If you use Cafe Cup brand cups, there is a removable fitment in the lid that has the needle opening in it (half sphere perforated basket below it). If the fitment is missing causes leaking and there is no way to fix it except replace the fitment or entire cup if lost like mine was. For other cups I found a washer behind the needle seal did the trick.

by Mark

Most Helpful Answer

I too struggled with the same problem. I have tried the K-Kaps with varying success as they also tend to leak.

Below is what I now do. It sounds like a lot, but it really takes very little time. I read once that K-Cup coffee costs about $50 a pound if you figured it out. Yikes!! Not sure about that, but I'm a single dad with two kids in University and I really needed to trim a bit off of my budget. This was an area that could help.

What has worked best for me, is re-using the plastic K-Cups. After brewing, remove the K-Cup, let it cool, peel off the foil, then rinse it out and dry throughly.

When I want a coffee, I just grab one of my used, dry K-Cups add my favourite coffee. I cut a bunch of small foil squares ahead of time and I simple re-seal the K-Cup with a new foil top, crimping the foil highly around the edges. I have NEVER had a leak, it works wonderfully.

Some argue that this defeats the convenience factor of the Keurig machine and I can't disagree, it does add a little extra work. At the end of the day, I needed to save a little money and re-using each K-cup 4 or 5 times really saves money. If I am pushed for time, I use a new K-Cup, but most days, I use a used one.

I just tried your method and it works perfectly! Really didn't take much time at all. Thanks for sharing!

by Angela Johnson

I'm looking into getting one of the "My K-Cup" filters but I could see the design flaw. There is filter material on the side of the filter, where the water could simply flow over the coffee, and go right down the sides. Larger coffee makers don't have this sort of problem because the filter is so large, and the water is deposited directly in the middle of the grounds. Solution: Block off the sides of the filter. There might be problems like the water won't flow fast enough and will overflow, but thats a risk you take. There are also a few alternatives to the My K-Cup you might want to look into.

We have the solution!

http://www.my-k-cup-fix.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-K-Cup-...

We have the same at work and we've been told by the seller that they sometimes come with that rubber ring that is needed sometimes they don't. Our rubber ring goes around the metal needle on the top part of the machine (the needle that usually puncture the regular K-Cup)

i've seen other types fitting on top of the grey adapter's cover.

once you have this, no more spills!

Cheers!

SOLVED !

Just carefully slide the rubber gasket off of the needle on top... add a few small washers and replace the rubber gasket...this will seal the k-up and no more leaks... works great!

RAVEN @¿@

I was having this problem and it was frustrating, to say the least. I found that the problem with the My K-Cup leaking and producing a short cup of coffee was the brand of coffee that I bought. On two different occasions, I bought a store-brand coffee and Folgers Custom Roast and had the problem. When I went out and bought Maxwell House Master Blend, the problem was alleviated. It must have something to do with the fineness of the grind. I'm sure there are other brands out there that would give good results, but my experience is, so far, with the Maxwell House Coffee. Also, if I fill the filter to the very top, I would have the problem, so I now fill the filter to 1/4" from the top. It took me awhile to figure it out but I no longer have the problem

I bought the washer that fixes the leaking on ebay for $2.29. It's called Stop Leak Guaranteed.

There is a quick and easy fix that is guaranteed. Over 1000 have been sold with 95% positive feedback. Go to ebay and spend 2 bucks with free shipping for a little part that slides into the brewer. No more leaking problems with any of the reusable K-cups. Search "Stop leak guaranteed" on ebay.

This is an easy permanent fix for leaking k cups. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...

by Dennis Gaudette

I had a problem using refillable K-cups. I have several refill cups so I can have more than one cup of coffee before I need to clean the refill cups. Sometimes the Keurig would spray water and coffee all over and only partially fill the cup. After reading about the washers on the needle inspected my Keurig and the refill cups. One of the refill cups lost the gasket on top that kept the coffee from spilling over. I threw away the broken refill cup and my problem is solved.

I saw this fix on Youtube awhile back...wrap a rubber band around the reusable cup filter, just under the lip - below where it opens and closes. It makes a great seal and works! The rubber band can stay on the cup all the time, you just operate like usual (fill the container with coffee, brew, clean) and forget the rubber band is there. I've had it on for a year and it still is holding up just fine. I've also tried a 1/2 inch washer that goes on the top of the reusable coffee container. Both solutions will work just fine on their own, but I kept losing the washer or forgetting to put it on when I brewed. The rubber band worked better only because I didn't have to keep track of a loose part (the washer).

The easy fix is still on ebay for $2.79. It's a new part that goes into the lid and takes literally one minute to install in the brewer. Then you never see it or touch it again. And best of all you don't have to remove it to brew retail K-cups you buy at the store. And if you aren't satisfied you get your money refunded and return postage paid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASY-FIX-STOP-CO...

Click this link. It will take you to ebay and a new part that fixes My K-Cup leaks and other reusable K-Cups like Ekobrew Solofill Cafe Cup and EZ Cup. It's only $2.79 and guaranteed by money back and return postage paid.

I have been using reusable cafe` cups and found that the plastic ring popped out on top resulting in water leaking from the k cup chamber. I found the ring, placed it back on top and Problem solved!

Andrew will be eternally grateful.