Next for me was the power button not working. I was about to buy a universal remote then thought, I'm going to spend $75+ on an on/off and volume up/down button?
So I gave opening the remote one more try seeing as I now had nothing to lose. Found a decent smallish flat head screwdriver and started to pry - con gusto. Pop came the first one and prying around the remote I was able to open it all up.
In my case it wasn't so much dirt as some sticky film on the buttons. In the holes of the rigid plastic was some debris which I scraped out. As for the film, no doubt a late night spilled scotch, I just went at it with paper towel and the flat head acting as a mini scraper.
When it all looked about as good as it could get I put it back, reinserted the batteries and the thing came to life. Tested it out on the plasma and holy cow I now had both power on and volume up/down.
For some reason I feel like blowing $75!
Thanks André. Had it not been for you I would never have attempted this.
waterloo, ontario, canada