Repair and disassembly guides for remote controls.

Yamaha RAV238 Remote Volume Buttons Inoperative Everything Else is Fine

Hi, this AVR (Yamaha RX-V1400) got moved upstairs and for some reason the volume buttons on the remote RAV238 stopped sending to the AVR. Every other button I touch does send (the red light in the upper left shines when a key is pressed). It's just the volume up / down (press them, no red light) that are the only keys not working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This seems to be a common problem and I don't know how to fix it either. Good luck to both of us because a new remote is $75!

It's the black press button on the inside that is worn out. I have tried a number of ways to clean it but it only works intermittently. I used other buttons on the silicone base and it worked fine, so isolated to this up button. Looking for a new remote.

Geno

You can buy a special repair kit for remotes at electronics stores, the kit will have some patches for those black connectors and some glue to attach them - works fine.

same problem on Yamaha RX-V650 remote. but it's quite easy to repair it.

1. open battery housing and remove the batteries

2. remove the screw located in the center of the battery housing

3. top and bottom shell of the remote are held together by 4 latches per side. the most fore and aft ones are located about 1cm from each end. pry them open w/ a small flat head. if you're carefull that will leave only tiny scratches, but it does take some force

4. once open, remove the insides and clean them from all the drinks and what not that has been poored over the remote (mine was full of... stuff)

5. if necessary, at contact spray or alike to the buttom of the rubber buttons

6. put it all back together again. you might need some new batteries as well. should work like a charm

PS: I made a repair guide.

+...nice and useful guide :)

Andre, you are a genius!

Thank you soo much!!

Superb. My yamaha remote is working great now.

Thank you so much. I was about to order a new remote when I discovered your comment. This saved the planet unnecessary waste and saved me money. In my case, a previous cleaning of the remote from the outside must have caused some cleaning liquid to get inside and accumulate below the 'off' button and the volume controls, which are very important buttons :). After opening the remote, cleaning of the circuit board with alcohol and Q-tips made a huge difference, and the buttons work when being pressed lightly now. Opening the remote was hard. I assumed that both parts were glued together, until I read your post. I would not have attempted to apply so much force. But after reading your instructions I knew it was ok, and sure enough, it worked perfectly.

Your advice worked great, and now the volume buttons are working again with no problems. I did notice the only "slime" was directly under the buttons of my Yamaha RAV 331 volume buttons, and since they are the ones pressed at the highest frequency by far, that maybe the rubber itself is expressing the slime over time and usage. No matter where it originated, taking the unit apart per your instructions and cleaning with the Zeiss lens cleaning wipes I had on hand did the trick. Thanks again.

Next for me was the power button not working. I was about to buy a universal remote then thought, I'm going to spend $75+ on an on/off and volume up/down button?

So I gave opening the remote one more try seeing as I now had nothing to lose. Found a decent smallish flat head screwdriver and started to pry - con gusto. Pop came the first one and prying around the remote I was able to open it all up.

In my case it wasn't so much dirt as some sticky film on the buttons. In the holes of the rigid plastic was some debris which I scraped out. As for the film, no doubt a late night spilled scotch, I just went at it with paper towel and the flat head acting as a mini scraper.

When it all looked about as good as it could get I put it back, reinserted the batteries and the thing came to life. Tested it out on the plasma and holy cow I now had both power on and volume up/down.

For some reason I feel like blowing $75!

Thanks André. Had it not been for you I would never have attempted this.

bob

waterloo, ontario, canada

Both of these descriptions are correct. I would only add that YOU GOTTA BEIEVE. It is very difficult to pry this thing apart. I found that starting near the bottom, along the long edge, and prying with a thin but wide flat screwdriver worked. Once the first latch pops out, slide the blade up until you can feel the next one holding and pry again - much easier.

Once apart, a Q-tip and some alcohol on both the PCB and the buttons will clean it up nicely. Works perfect now!!

I was in the Same boat and knew the remote was done so opened the back and moved different pads over the the volume tab and it worked. The pads that I didn't use more or less the same size and cut the square out and replaced the good one with the bad one. It works and saves you having to find a new remote.

"System power" button needed hard pressing even after cleaning. So I cut small piece of aluminum foil and placed it between circuit and pad. Now button works as normal. Well... who knows how long it will work but now it works 8^)

bob will be eternally grateful.