Repair guides and support for LED, LCD, HD and other Vizio TVs.

Why are there vertical color bars appearing in 1 section of my scree

Vizio TV recently removed from storage (was only in from May-July) powered on and had vertical white bars with color stripes in one section of the screen. Looks like something in particular came loose or went bad, but I took the back off and have no idea what I'm looking for. Any help appreciated!

@crowbot Any chance you can see/point it out here?

Sorry but it's usually within the LCD unit itself. It's the electronics that interfaces the raw elements of the LCD to the video card. Usually there are separate chips for different sections of the unit. It looks like one failed. My experience has been that once this happens, the LCD sub-assembly needs to be replaced.

@dcjeffreys double check something for us. Bring up an on-screen menu on your TV. Let us know if those lines run through that menu as well....

Most Helpful Answer

@dcjeffreys with multi-colored vertical lines and the presence of some active video is usually an indication that the video processor is not the cause for this. You may have issues with Source Tab Bond failure (thin ribbon cables going directly into the panel have come unglued) or a bad T-con board. Yes panel failure is always an option but I'd check the other two things first. Let us know what model your Vizio is. Try something. Push the top of the actual LCD panel where the lines start. See if you can find the thin ribbons going into the panel. If it is a TAB error, you should see some changes when you exert some pressure. Let us know what you get.

Devon,

Sorry to tell you but this looks like a classic example of a failed video controller in the LCD module inside the display.

Check the cable going into the display module. Its usually a ribbon cable of some sort. Make sure it's in tight at both ends.

You can also try GENTLY squeezing the frame above and below the area of the bars. This may bring it back to normal temporarily.

You may be able to buy a replacement LCD module but it may not be cost effective.

Hope this helps.

-Larry

Devon Jeffreys will be eternally grateful.