The ThinkPad X1 Carbon Repair can be identified by its model number: 20BS0032US. It's a first generation Lenovo laptop that was released in August 2012. The ThinkPad X1 Carbon is lightweight and portable and has a fingerprint reader addition.

Charger shuts off computer

Every time I plug in my charger now it shuts down my computer or closes all of my windows. My battery life has diminished significantly as well. I have to shut down my computer in order to charge it. Please help!

Does it shut down if you remove the battery?

IS there any info in the event log?

The only thing that comes to mind is that there could be an unexpected voltage drop when the battery starts charging and that the PC is shutting down to protect itself.

If that’s the case (and it’s a big IF) the issue is likely one of the following.

1) The charger is damaged

2) The charging circuit is damaged

3) The battery is damaged.

If it runs without the battery in place I would buy a replacement charger since it’s the cheapest to replace.

If that didn’t fix it I would replace the battery.

If that didn’t fix it I would return both and treat my laptop as a desktop.

this seems to be a common issue with the early generator X1. I have an X1 3443 carbon model and have been seeing this issue periodically for years. the conventional wisdom is that you need to replace the power port adapter (Lenovo part Misc Base Kit FRU part# 04W3914). the item is touched on in the Lenovo forum - link below.

since I see this issue infrequently, I'm only now trying to replace this component.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-...

Tiffany will be eternally grateful.