Repair information on hard drives or hard disks. Hard drives are magnetic data storage devices. They are used in most desktop, laptop, and server due to their low cost and high data density.

Did I break a pice of my hard drive?

Did I break a pice of my hard drive? I was working on my hard drive and I was pressing on the bottom of the drive hard to get it in to place. The screw driver slipped and it hit a few pieces off. I have included the photos of the broken pieces.... When I boot the computer it does nothing...

So am I sol?

Hi @jerhacker69

Oh dear the HDD PCB has been damaged.

Any important data?

Let us know your HDD Model.

If so you need to get a donor board to replace the broken board, do note some need to transplant iirc HDD bios chip to the donor board.

It seems to be a 2.5 Inch HDD, if you need to get a new one, I would recommend to use SSD.

Oh god, what did you do!? Im sorry to tell you but you destroyed the HDD. You could try using another pcb, but believe me, its a pain in the *ss to get them replaced. And after that it might not work because an HDD pcb is made for a specific HDD, So it may not work even on another identical HDD. Throw the HDD away and buy another one, theyre not that expensive.

Try what looks best for you, if you really want your data back everything is worth it. But if the HDD was new then its not worh the work. A donor board with the same chips might work, but surface mount chips are really, really difficult to eork on.

Jermey Kemo will be eternally grateful.