First generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi, available with 16, 32, or 64 GB. Model Number A1219. Repairs are straightforward and do not require heat.

How do I get apps for my iOS 5.1.1 on the app store

I can get any apps that are able to run on iOS 5.1.1 from app store or iTunes

Apple stopped supporting the first Generation iPad with the iOS 6.0 update, which leaves the device stuck on the 5.1.1 version of the operating system. But this doesn't mean the original iPad is now a paperweight.

There are many good uses for a 1st Generation iPad, including watching Netflix and playing casual games. The trick is getting apps that only support a later version of the operating system on the first generation iPad.

This won't work with all apps. Most newer apps only support iOS 7 or up, so the current version of the app won't work on the original iPad. There's a way to get an older version of the app onto your iPad, but for this to work, there must be a version of the app that supports the older operating system. It is recommended to only try this with free apps like Netflix so you don't waste money trying to get an app that won't work on your iPad.

How to download apps to the 1st Generation iPad:

Launch iTunes and verify that you are signed into the same Apple ID as you use with your iPad. You can view these settings under the "Store" menu. The "View Account" choice should show the email address used with your iPad. If not, choose "Sign Out" and sign in with the same account used on the iPad. (If you don't have iTunes on your PC, you can download it from Apple.)

"Purchase" the app in iTunes on your PC or Mac. This is actually very similar to downloading apps on your iPad. Once in iTunes, go to the "iTunes Store" and change the category on the right from "Music" to "App Store". The screen will change to become very similar to the App Store app on your iPad.

After you click the "Get" button or the price button, the app will download to your PC.

You do not need to hook your iPad up to your PC for this next part to work. The iPad allows you to download any previously purchased app, so you are free to delete apps and then download them again later when needed. In this instance, we are simply going to download the app we just purchased on the PC. Go into the App Store app, choose the Previously Purchased Tab and locate the app you just downloaded on your PC. You can tap the cloud button next to the app to download it onto your iPad.

The iPad may prompt you with a message telling you that the app is not supported on your version of iOS. (If it doesn't, the app already supported the 1st Generation iPad). If there is a version of the app that supports the original iPad, you will be asked if you want to download a previous version of the app. Give the iPad a resounding Yes! to download a version of the app compatible with your iPad.

Hopefully, this should be enough to load your iPad up with some useful apps and games. Try searching Google for the best iPad apps of 2010 and 2011 to get an idea of apps that may have a version supporting the original iPad. Thanks to Daniel Nations for this info

Does that mean that I should just throw away my iPad 1 that I have just bought?

edyrichard Did you even read my answer?

Works perfectly!!!! What a great trick! Thanks so much, Mayer. My ipad first gen is loaded with rpgs now. U rock.

Samuel glad you can get some use out of this ;-)

Para: Samuel Ana:

¿Podrías decirme qué juegos tienes en tu ipad 1?

It's outdated nothing runs on that old version of iOS. Only thing you can do is purchase a new current version ipad..

That ipad you own was killed off in 2011.

A victim of corporate mentality. Go buy a new one.

No just stop with the tips and tricks because half the time they don't work.

Any chance that you might revisit the solution for this? Since Apple in their "made you upgrade" mode has removed the app selection from iTunes (use the App Store only), there does not appear to be anyway to get older apps that run on older IOS's. I just picked up a Gen1 iPad with IOS 5.1.1 with the thought of using it as a book reader and to see how I liked it (so far, not so well....). One could hope that the book sellers like Amazon or Barnes and Noble would make sure older apps available (but I guess they want you to buy their newer Kindle or Nook just like Apple wants to sell you a new iPad).

The main problem is that iPad 1 has a 32-bit CPU. Apple stopped support because all the later models have a 64-bit CPU. Although I am no fan of Windows, most apps have a 32 and 64 bit versions. My iPad 1 was my first experience with Apple, so needless to say that I won't be rushing out to buy any more Apple products. I never thought that any company could make Micro$oft look good, but Apple have well and truly managed it.

Mr. Meyer's method still works - with one caveat: you need to get an older version of iTunes. The current version of iTunes available as of now (6/27/2018) does not include the app store as selection or provide apps in the search results.

If you head over to oldversion.com and download the latest version from their archives (iTunes 11.0.1.12 (x64) released Dec 14, 2012), install it, uncheck the 'automatically download software updates' option during the install and sign in with your Apple ID, you'll now have access to the app store that the newer version of iTunes shuts you out of. At that point Meyer's advice works fine.

If you've installed the current, or a newer version of iTunes, the old version will complain the 'iTunes Library.itl file can not be read as it was created by a newer version of iTunes'. Just open file explorer, search for the 'iTunes Library.itl' file, and delete it. The old version of iTunes will launch fine afterwards, you can click the app store option under the Apple logo, and start browsing for and installing the apps you need. Just don't update the old version of iTunes and you're set.

I just got a iPad and it has some one else's I'd on it and want let me do nothing how can I fix this problem so I can use it

Have you tried a hard reset? There's a tiny hole next to the headphones socket. Something like a paperclip or small nail should let you press the button that is hidden underneath (if you decide to use a nail, please don't use a hammer as well!). That should reset the iPad to its factory settings.

I think his iPad is icloud locked. I think he bought a stolen iPad.

Only way anyone can buy new is if they drop the price by 50 to 60 percent and delay the upgrading process to half speed bevause it is not nessesary to run at the pace it is now. Electronics should be fully supported and functional for a minimum of twenty to twenty five years before you have to replace them. Perhaps someone could create an ap for ios 5,1.1 that converts ios 6 and later into apps that run other apps. In this eay youd rin your newer apps as sub apps kust a layer deeper and it would all work under 5,1,1? After all. Apple should always figjt against planned "obselence".

Don't hold your breath on it. Apple won't do it. The best that Apple will do is 6 years. If you want something that is still supported for a long period of time (10 years), go for Windows. You can still run Windows 10 on a 2009 vintage PC. It is impossible to do what you want to do with an emulator. You can get an emulator to do the other way around, a new version running older version.

If you have another iDevice (phone or ipad or ipod) you can get the app there, and then it will be available on the iPad1

John Wayne will be eternally grateful.