First generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi, available with 16, 32, or 64 GB. Model Number A1219. Repairs are straightforward and do not require heat.

How do I get apps for my iOS 5.1.1 on the app store

I can get any apps that are able to run on iOS 5.1.1 from app store or iTunes

Apple stopped supporting the first Generation iPad with the iOS 6.0 update, which leaves the device stuck on the 5.1.1 version of the operating system. But this doesn't mean the original iPad is now a paperweight.

There are many good uses for a 1st Generation iPad, including watching Netflix and playing casual games. The trick is getting apps that only support a later version of the operating system on the first generation iPad.

This won't work with all apps. Most newer apps only support iOS 7 or up, so the current version of the app won't work on the original iPad. There's a way to get an older version of the app onto your iPad, but for this to work, there must be a version of the app that supports the older operating system. It is recommended to only try this with free apps like Netflix so you don't waste money trying to get an app that won't work on your iPad.

How to download apps to the 1st Generation iPad:

Launch iTunes and verify that you are signed into the same Apple ID as you use with your iPad. You can view these settings under the "Store" menu. The "View Account" choice should show the email address used with your iPad. If not, choose "Sign Out" and sign in with the same account used on the iPad. (If you don't have iTunes on your PC, you can download it from Apple.)

"Purchase" the app in iTunes on your PC or Mac. This is actually very similar to downloading apps on your iPad. Once in iTunes, go to the "iTunes Store" and change the category on the right from "Music" to "App Store". The screen will change to become very similar to the App Store app on your iPad.

After you click the "Get" button or the price button, the app will download to your PC.

You do not need to hook your iPad up to your PC for this next part to work. The iPad allows you to download any previously purchased app, so you are free to delete apps and then download them again later when needed. In this instance, we are simply going to download the app we just purchased on the PC. Go into the App Store app, choose the Previously Purchased Tab and locate the app you just downloaded on your PC. You can tap the cloud button next to the app to download it onto your iPad.

The iPad may prompt you with a message telling you that the app is not supported on your version of iOS. (If it doesn't, the app already supported the 1st Generation iPad). If there is a version of the app that supports the original iPad, you will be asked if you want to download a previous version of the app. Give the iPad a resounding Yes! to download a version of the app compatible with your iPad.

Hopefully, this should be enough to load your iPad up with some useful apps and games. Try searching Google for the best iPad apps of 2010 and 2011 to get an idea of apps that may have a version supporting the original iPad. Thanks to Daniel Nations for this info

Does that mean that I should just throw away my iPad 1 that I have just bought?

edyrichard Did you even read my answer?

Works perfectly!!!! What a great trick! Thanks so much, Mayer. My ipad first gen is loaded with rpgs now. U rock.

Samuel glad you can get some use out of this ;-)

It's outdated nothing runs on that old version of iOS. Only thing you can do is purchase a new current version ipad..

That ipad you own was killed off in 2011.

A victim of corporate mentality. Go buy a new one.

No just stop with the tips and tricks because half the time they don't work.

Any chance that you might revisit the solution for this? Since Apple in their "made you upgrade" mode has removed the app selection from iTunes (use the App Store only), there does not appear to be anyway to get older apps that run on older IOS's. I just picked up a Gen1 iPad with IOS 5.1.1 with the thought of using it as a book reader and to see how I liked it (so far, not so well....). One could hope that the book sellers like Amazon or Barnes and Noble would make sure older apps available (but I guess they want you to buy their newer Kindle or Nook just like Apple wants to sell you a new iPad).

I just got a iPad and it has some one else's I'd on it and want let me do nothing how can I fix this problem so I can use it

Only way anyone can buy new is if they drop the price by 50 to 60 percent and delay the upgrading process to half speed bevause it is not nessesary to run at the pace it is now. Electronics should be fully supported and functional for a minimum of twenty to twenty five years before you have to replace them. Perhaps someone could create an ap for ios 5,1.1 that converts ios 6 and later into apps that run other apps. In this eay youd rin your newer apps as sub apps kust a layer deeper and it would all work under 5,1,1? After all. Apple should always figjt against planned "obselence".

John Wayne will be eternally grateful.