Smart smoke detector from Nest Labs, the creator of the Nest Learning Thermostat.

Why does the smoke alarm go off for no reason.

The smoke alarm goes off for nothing. It's summer here, all the doors are open, not a wisp of smoke around, yet it goes off several times a night. My question is can I take this apart and clean the sensor? The unit is a few years old, and we heat with wood so I'm wondering if there's a buildup on the sensor that can be removed. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the answer.

Checking the batteries was the first thing I did and they all tested good. Right at the top of the scale good, but. I might try putting in a fresh set just in case.

Thanks again.

On a summer night with windows open, small insects may come through the screen. Attracted by the light on the smoke detector, they can set it off. Spray screens and the detector with bug spray. Yes, I learned this the hard way!

Change the battery. A low battery will trigger it.

Robin Wilkinson will be eternally grateful.