Repair guides and support for your LG TV.

Why is my 55 inch LG TV turning off by itself?

While watching tv, it will shut off by itself. I have to unplug it wait a few minutes and plug it back in again, then it works again for awhile, then shuts off again. I have no idea why. I have it plugged into a power surge protector. I was gone away on vacation for 2 weeks and it was previously working fine, until I returned home. Now it shuts off by itself.

I'm having this same problem. My TV is a LG 50PA4500-UFAUSLLHR

I'll try to upload a picture.

I can't upload a picture. When I press options, edit does not come up as a choice. Do I have to start a new thread with my question? I'm doing this on an IPad, does that matter? Thanks!

LG is the crappiest television on the market, I had this problem a few months after purchase, I tried to get engineers out to take a look, no chance there, it seemed to settle but now does it on a more regular basis, the scrapyard beckons. Lesson learnt DO NOT BUY LG AGAIN

Same problem with me. Both times I turn the power off going away on holiday, when I come back the LG tv switches off... i pull out all power chords and replace power boards.... last time I think i hit the tv a few times... or after a while it came back... pretty dodgy LG!

there's a forum on it here, looks like a LG problem... https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/...

Most Helpful Answer

@gwilliam could be an issue with failed capacitors on the power board or over heating. Your set shuts off because it goes into protection mode. It will definitely help if you can provide the exact model number. It might also be helpful if you post some images of all of your boards inside your TV with your question. That way we can see what you see. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question for that.

my lg is doing the same would you know what power board i would need to replace? 32LH20D

Shane Agnew, Looks like you need a Eax55176301 power supply board

Its the temperature...ve been wondering for months why my TV keeps turning off and on. I live in dallas and it was 111° today..I noticed everytime I opened my front door the TV would shut off as soon as the heat came thru..shut thr door and get the room nice and cold again..it doesnt shut off one time...

I turned my air up to 74 and within 5 minutes the TV shut off..turn air back to 69..hasnt turned off once..

The TV should not be that sensitive to temperature changes that small. If you can, try blowing any dust out of it. Even better, open up the back and make sure all dust has been removed. The TV should function fine in room temperatures exceeding 90 degrees. If it doesn't it may be an indication of eminent component failure (capacitors most likely).

Dan

@mdavie78

what make and exact model is your TV?

Gina Williams will be eternally grateful.