Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

Best way of dealing with water damage

I've been repairing phones for a year now, the usual things screens, batteries etc. I have a previous customer dropping a water damaged phone to be tomorrow (dropped down the toilet). He's asked me to see what I can do, can you more experience repairers give me your top tips on how to go about this, what equipment should I invest in and what processes have worked best for you.

Any advice would be great, thank you.

Ideally, the phone has to be properly decontaminated and then tested. Some shops don't bother with water damage repair and only focus on data recovery. I do water damage repair but you have to be able to say "enough" when you can't find the issue, especially if you are no fix/no fee.

You need the following:

• Ultrasonic bath...a real one with sweep frequency. Popular models are Crest and Branson,
  • Proper cleaning solutions - Branson EC
  • Good micro-soldering setup to remove shields and fix the board as necessary. The Quick 861DW is good value for Hot Air and a temperature controlled soldering iron. I like the Hakko for the micro-tweezers. You can spend a lot of money here so you have to consider carefully.
  • Stereo Microscope with Zoom
  • Good assortment of parts or donor boards. Personally, I like to use new electronics components sourced from DigiKey or Mouser rather than donor boards. Some times though, you have no choice but to go donor board.

Comment on this answer if you'd like to know more.

Soop will be eternally grateful.