Apple released the MacBook Pro 15" Retina with a new display that has a 2880-by-1800 resolution.

Why doesn't keyboard and trackpad work after battery replacement?

I replaced a dead battery on my MacBook Pro and now the keyboard and trackpad aren't working. The battery works fine, but the fans come on like gangbusters and won't go off. I can use a remote keyboard and plug in mouse but the fans blow and blow. I did my best to reconnect the track board ribbon but clearly something is amiss. Help!

It sounds to me like something just isn't connected properly. IIRC there's a temp sensor integrated into the touchpad, and if it's disconnected the fans will run full blast. I'd probably just re-do the repair and reseat each connector really carefully, making sure the ribbons are straight and fully inserted, and that they aren't connected upside-down or damaged in any way. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

Yeah I would recommend doing what Jeff said. If the trackpad isn't clicking anymore something went wrong during the battery replacement. Resetting NVRAM and SMC won't fix that. I would just open it up again and redo it very carefully.

Also you should be able to reset NVRAM and SMC via USB keyboards for future reference.

Thank you for your support. I will try opening it up again.

Have you tried reseting the PRAM/NVRAM or SMC?

Thank you--this was one of the first things I tried. The keyboard doesn't work, so pushing down keys, even to reset these, has no effect. It does light up, though. I tried with the computer off, and I tried with it on. I tried with a bluetooth keyboard. I turned bluetooth on and off. Nothing works.

At this point the computer works with a bluetooth keyboard and plug-in mouse. The problem is the fans going full speed, which tells me something is wrong. The computer was fine before I changed the battery--it turned on when plugged in, and the keyboard and trackpad worked. Now the trackpad won't click, so I have obviously done something wrong putting the thing back together. I have done successful repairs on another MacBook pro, but I'm afraid this one made a mess of things on this trackpad/battery assembly. Thanks though, for your help.

Jaime Hovey will be eternally grateful.