Model Number A1707. Released June 2017, this MacBook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to the 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz.

Is the SSD upgradeable in the 2017 version?

the 2016 was soldered to the logic board...is the 2017 still soldered?

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Sadly both are soldered!

All of the Retina models have soldered RAM only the older non-Retina models have upgradable RAM. The newer Touch Bar (2016 & 2017) systems SSD storage is now soldered as well.

Rumor has it a Pro's MacBook Pro will be coming out which is hoped to have upgradable RAM & storage but we'll need to wait and see if Apple got the message when they intro'ed the late 2016 model and got a good scolding by the working Pro's who need more RAM, upgradable storage and USB-A ports.

Is it possible to unsolder them off the board and replace them, as in apple just made it more difficult?

Clearly this is an advanced level of service that is well beyond a DIY.

With the proper skills and tools anything is possible. Micro-Soldering is not easy! The other issue is locating the replacement parts. The memory chips Apple is using are custom.

Got it - thanks for the reply!

I'm still waiting for a laptop which is upgradeable as in the years before. Especially the RAM and SSDs must be changeable by the owner!

From the technical side RAM should be extentable until 128GB and SSDs Storage must be unlimited.

There are a lot of Pro's also waiting for the REAL MacBook Pro to show up for the REAL Pro's!! I hope it comes out soon! As I want one for my self.

My largest client just dumped all of their MacBooks Pro's and most of their desktop systems for HP systems as they couldn't wait any more! They were still using the 15" Unibody's, iMac's & Mac mini's. We still have our Mac Pro's but they will be gone before the end of January.

So sad ;-{ Over 500 laptops and 200 desktops! Apple's slowness in addressing the Pro market (engineering in this case) is a crying shame. Yes, the new MacBook Pro's are selling, but not the deep creative type of users.

What made Apple MacBooks special was their...

Durability - Thats now gone! Keyboards are failing!

Expandability - Thats gone! Soldered RAM & Storage!

Security - Thats gone! No onboard USB-A port for crypt keys and you can't remove the drive for disposal or if required to monument it!

HP's are not as well built as the unibody's where so well need to replace them more frequently. But! they do something Apple still fails to do! Have service manuals online and have parts we can order!

Apple are you listening???? Lets get with it! A REAL Pro's MacBook Pro!

Start with the old Unibody body pull out the optical drive. Put in the best CPU, replicable RAM (unto 32GB) & SSD (RAID four drive support), Retina class display 2 USB-C ports, latest 802.11 & Bluetooth services, better battery. Keep! The older keyboard, MagSafe (or something better), at least 2 USB-A ports, Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T is fine). If you can squeeze the weight down but don't sacrifice durability! Now make three versions! 13" 15" & 17" models.

NO Dongles!!!

What's the best way to let Apple know that this sucks? Is there a petition or something?

I would write a stern note to Tim! His email address is tcook@apple.com

Be polite and use clean language as these will be tossed before anyone reads them.

The key areas I would hit are:

- Lack of serviceable and expandable RAM

- Lack of serviceable and expandable Storage

- Lack of older USB A ports (2)

- Lack of MagSafe type of power connection that's flush with the case.

Yes, I agree with your requirements !

They know. They just dont care , and after 15 years with the mac, I'm very very close to making the 2017 my last mac. And thats a %#*@ shame. But I cant repair this. I cant upgrade this, and holy cow this keyboard is balls.

The SSD is still soldered, Apple isn't well-known for making their devices modular.

No in 13" nTB 2017 it's not soldered but I think even if you change it (assuming you can buy SDD with apple connector) it probably wouldn't work - same as wifi card (wifi chip is soldered ) - it's paired with mobo

Just to be clear here the OP was asking about the Touch Bar model not the Function Key model.

- The Touch Bar model: RAM & SSD as well as the WiFi/Bluetooth logic are soldered to the main logic board not upgradable!

- The Function Key model: RAM and WiFi/Bluetooth logic are soldered to the main logic board. Unlike the Touch Bar model the SSD is removable! But! its using a newer custom SSD unit than the older models. At this time no one is offering replacement SSD's.

Thanks Dan. Great summary

Funny Mac Book Pro is supposed to be pro already. So now they going to have a "Pro's Mac Book Pro" or "Mac Book Pro Pro", where an even higher premium has to be paid to allow something that should already be in a Mac Book Pro in the first place.

Not sure Apple really cares about Pro users any more, if they did they would not be doing this sort of nonsense to the Pro Line.

I think a lot of Pro users feel the same about Apple as well you hear a lot of them switching to Hackintosh.

I my self being a long time Apple user ( had first mac in high school ) won't use apple anymore. I'm on my last MBP atm 2011 model which I have already made some fixes to thanks to Ifixit :)

I can say I am a recovering Apple addict. Still using but haven't bought in 5 years.

Just came here to see if maybe they changed their ways seems they haven't :/

At least selling their own SSD in stores will be great I have MacBook Pro Early 2015

It struggles with storage, I'm unable to get Apple's original SSD online as well as in stores. I don't trust 3rd party SSD's any suggestion?

Your in luck! There are a few options:

- Transcend - JetDrive 820

- OWC - SSD Flash Storage Upgrades

Both are dependable!

I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro and put a 1Tb SSD in. Went in just fine though it was more expensive that I thought it should be at around £730

Rob

F U C K YOU Apple. OVERPRICED CRAP!

daniel.reitzenstein will be eternally grateful.