Model Number A1707. Released June 2017, this MacBook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to the 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz.

Is the SSD upgradeable in the 2017 version?

the 2016 was soldered to the logic board...is the 2017 still soldered?

Sadly both are soldered!

All of the Retina models have soldered RAM only the older non-Retina models have upgradable RAM. The newer Touch Bar (2016 & 2017) systems SSD storage is now soldered as well.

Rumor has it a Pro's MacBook Pro will be coming out which is hoped to have upgradable RAM & storage but we'll need to wait and see if Apple got the message when they intro'ed the late 2016 model and got a good scolding by the working Pro's who need more RAM, upgradable storage and USB-A ports.

thanks! not asking about RAM though, curious about the SSD.

Sorry Dan Had to take the dogs out ;-}

Apple hasn't altered the basic design of the new Touch Bar so sadly the SSD is soldered as well.

Is it possible to unsolder them off the board and replace them, as in apple just made it more difficult?

Clearly this is an advanced level of service that is well beyond a DIY.

With the proper skills and tools anything is possible. Micro-Soldering is not easy! The other issue is locating the replacement parts. The memory chips Apple is using are custom.

What's the best way to let Apple know that this sucks? Is there a petition or something?

I would write a stern note to Tim! His email address is tcook@apple.com

Be polite and use clean language as these will be tossed before anyone reads them.

The key areas I would hit are:

- Lack of serviceable and expandable RAM

- Lack of serviceable and expandable Storage

- Lack of older USB A ports (2)

- Lack of MagSafe type of power connection that's flush with the case.

The SSD is still soldered, Apple isn't well-known for making their devices modular.

At least selling their own SSD in stores will be great I have MacBook Pro Early 2015

It struggles with storage, I'm unable to get Apple's original SSD online as well as in stores. I don't trust 3rd party SSD's any suggestion?

Your in luck! There are a few options:

- Transcend - JetDrive 820

- OWC - SSD Flash Storage Upgrades

Both are dependable!

I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro and put a 1Tb SSD in. Went in just fine though it was more expensive that I thought it should be at around £730

Rob

No in 13" nTB 2017 it's not soldered but I think even if you change it (assuming you can buy SDD with apple connector) it probably wouldn't work - same as wifi card (wifi chip is soldered ) - it's paired with mobo

Just to be clear here the OP was asking about the Touch Bar model not the Function Key model.

- The Touch Bar model: RAM & SSD as well as the WiFi/Bluetooth logic are soldered to the main logic board not upgradable!

- The Function Key model: RAM and WiFi/Bluetooth logic are soldered to the main logic board. Unlike the Touch Bar model the SSD is removable! But! its using a newer custom SSD unit than the older models. At this time no one is offering replacement SSD's.

daniel.reitzenstein will be eternally grateful.