The GameCube is Nintendo's fourth console gaming system. Repair is simple and requires only common tools.

Why can I not run Super Mario sunshine? The disc has no scrates.

I have two copies of Super mario sunshine and a working gamecube. The gamecube can run The Legend Of Zelda Collectors Edition (A bundle of a Windwaker trial, the original Legend of Zelda, a Link to the Past, and a few more). It works perfectly fine on all editions on the bundled disc. When I put in my super mario sunshine disc (either one of two) it plays the Nintendo logo and makes a sound, shows Dolby surround sound or whatever and then says "The disc could not be read..." This happens on both of the discs at the same point and neither have scratches. I don't have any more money for a new gamecube or another super mario sunshine copy. When I earn it, what do I do? I cannot diagnose the problem. I need help diagnosing it and finding the problem.

Most Helpful Answer

GameCubes can be finnicky. Are you able to open it up and do a thorough cleaning? Or possibly just use canned air and blow out the disc drive, and use a microfiber cloth to clean the lens? Can you by any chance test the Super Mario Sunshine discs on another console, such as the Wii or a friend's GC?

Sadly I am the only one of my friends who enjoys old nintendo games. How do you want me to clean it. I will try to do so, but I don't know what to clean. Maybe you can link me to a teardown of it and tell me which labeled parts to clean. Thanks for your help so far!

Has to be a software issue with the disc file system. I can't say that for sure, but you might need new discs.

I already have two though. I don't think a third one would be better. Should I send this gamecube back and get a new one?

If the Cube is playing others, then my best idea of this would be a disk, but if both don't work it seems kinda unlikely that they would both break. It might be a GameGube issue but my knowledge ends here. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck!

Dylan Tsivouras will be eternally grateful.