A Dyson DC-47 canister vacuum cleaner. It was released toward the end of 2012. It's model number is CY18.

The rotating brushes are not spinning.

When I attach the rotating brush attachment, the brush will start but as soon as I put it down on a rug, it dies suddenly. There are no clogs in the hose and I have been cleaning the vacuum regularly. What can I do to fix it?

My rotating brushes won't spin...HELP!!

Most Helpful Answer

Try resetting the brush bar. Here's how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvGu3Bq...

The YouTube link is not for the CY18.

The Dyson Cinetic Animal uses a completely air-driven brush head. The brush-bar-reset is similar and you only need a coin to do it, but if clearing clogs and strings does not work, you can dive into the mechanism. I've had mine apart down to the bearings, which are sealed and tend to fail easily. There is a poorly engineered gear driving a belt just inside the turbine. The gear teeth engage only the very edges of the belt teeth; the rest of the gear shaft is smooth (where it would otherwise grip the belt teeth across the whole width of the belt). So, as the bearings wear out the sides of the belt get shredded and the whole thing fails.

The only fix then would be to replace the bearings and turbine belt. Dyson does not sell parts. They sell "tools", and that is a $65 "tool". The rest of the design is fixit-friendly.

Maybe if iFixit can cut a deal to get access to the individual Dyson parts…

Nicole will be eternally grateful.