Model A1502 / 2.6 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) or 2.8 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz) dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Will not charge, no charging light on magsafe?

Hi, I plugged my MacBook into a friends aftermarket power supply, and when i returned home there is no light when plugging it onto a real magsafe charger. Tried using a different charger, resetting SMC.

Also if I plug the magsafe into a different mac and then into mine, the light is orange but slowly goes dimmer until it goes out, and doesn't charge the mac.

There are a few components involved in charging the Mac and working off of battery and/or charger.

SMC is part of that circuit but my assumption would be more towards the "charging IC" and some resistors around it and some "chips" that charge the battery, together with their traces on or through the board.

If you want to explore this, you will need to specify if the green light is on when a charger is plugged in. And what does the battery show: "not charging" or "x" etc.

Then you need to provide us with the board number, find the schematics and board view based on that number, and you will need a multimeter with fine probes to test the lines and the components. And some form of 10x-20x magnification.

But you will reach a point where you will need to remove/replace parts. And that's not a DYI job.

EDIT:

Following the update you posted, my opinion is that the ISL chip, a few resistors, a couple of traces are potentially damaged. It should be totally fixable at ½ the cost of a new board. Shop around and do the math.

If you need to find someone who can fix it let me know where you are so that I can recommend someone.

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply! the board is a 661-00607 and i do have access to this equipment as an electrical engineering student, but I'd rather not go down the diy route. The laptop is out of battery now but it was acting as if not plugged in when attached to a charger, and the charging light stays off. I'm in Melbourne, Australia so if you know any repair guys around here that could help me out that would be great.

Chris will be eternally grateful.