A portable AM/FM tuning speaker with auxiliary connection for iPod, iPhone, CD player etc. Released in 2002.

Noise interference on tivoli pal

My tivoli pal radio is about 4 years old. It has started making awful loud unbearable noises randomly. Sometimes it seems to settle and play fine, others it is intolerably loud. It especially happens on turning on. Can anyone help?

Most Helpful Answer

I emailed help@tivoliaudio.com about the problem. Their suggested remedy:

It is pretty common over time for dust to collect in and around analogue tuners. Dust can cause drifting, scratchy noises while tuning, and difficulty finding stations. Regularly exercising your tuner will help to keep it dust free.

To exercise your tuner you will want to turn the radio on and turn the volume all the way down. Turn the tuning knob to the far left and then to the far right. Continue to vigorously turn this knob back and forth for two to three minutes. This will loosen any dirt or dust that may be lodged in your tuner and will recoat it in grease.

Success! After several minutes of vigorous turning, our radio’s tuning problems went away. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

This sounds like the same problem we have. I don't think it is the tuner. I think the contacts in the connector switch are loose. We had the selector switch replaced once already and the second switch is also failing. When I took the radio for repair, someone else had a similar problem. So, I think the selector switch is poorly manufactured.

Tivoli uses a non standard tuner so do not use any sprays or cleaners on it as these can damage the part beyond repair. As Paul suggests, excercising the tuner is the best first step. Basically with the radio on or off and at no volume turn the knob/dial fully clockwise then counter clockwise a number of times. This will help scrap off oxidation which seems to be the issue with noisy tuning.

If you get noise/crackles when turning the volume knob then this part only can be sprayed with a cleaner such as Deoxit.

If noise problems only exist when you turn the selector switch then yes that could be a problem and may need to be repaired (cleaned) or replaced.

Julie will be eternally grateful.