The Epson Artisan 1430 is a color inkjet photo printer.

Says "Paper Jam" but no jam is present.

My Epson Artisan 1430 worked perfectly for about a year then stopped. The Ink and Paper Feed lights are both flashing and the Epson driver/software says I have a paper jam. Here's the message I'm getting:

1. Cancel all print jobs.

2. Open the printer cover and remove any jammed paper.

3. Close the cover and turn the power off and then on again.

There is absolutely no paper jam. I've tried unplugging it, rebooting - nothing helps.

I cannot get the ink head to unlock so I can't use a method suggested by others.

I now have a very expensive printer that worked for only a year.

Any suggestions - other than send it back to Epson for repair?

I also have a 1430 which I dearly love. I have used it for several years with no problems until Windows10 came along and strange things started happening system wide.

As for the 1430 issue, I found that if I print within the natural borders of a selected page size, such as not try borderless or over print the paper for whatever reason, the paper jam light does not come on. It is rather tricky trying to get the 1430 in the right mood to print but it usually goes well with a fresh boot for the computer, then the printer, then select the print paper type, size, and the document or photo size and do not choose borderless. There is obviously a communication issue between the Epson drivers and Win10. I am using an independent driver set from another company and the printer never fails and I can over print with this independent driver, which means, Epson needs to come up with a patch for their drivers. I have yet to see a printer do any better than the 1430 on a consistent basis and print CD/DVDs.

On a side note with 1430's, I used to whine about the price of Epson Ink but I found that 3rd party inks usually fade pretty fast if one is doing photos. Is the cheaper ink worth loosing a great photo in a couple years?

I meant to answer the issue about moving the ink carriage.

Turn the printer off, wait 10 or more seconds, turn it on and while the ink carriage is scanning back and forth, unplug the power while it is anywhere but the extreme right. Once the power is unplugged, you can slide the carriage to the left and check out all the little nooks and crannies for bits of paper, lint or debris. When you are satisfied that all is well, plug the power back in and the printer will reset and be ready for use. If it does not move when you plug it back in, you may need to press the power button.

By the way, while the power is on, usually one can press the ink error button (right button with the droplet icon) and the ink carriage will move into the cartridge change position. At this point, unplug the power cord and the carriage will move freely. Please do not try to move it with the power still on. Not a good idea.

gwj2001us will be eternally grateful.