0

jeff
1

Will not power on?

I have a Imac 7,1 Model No A1225 that has worked flawless since day 1 (3 years ago).

I turned the computer off New Years Eve and just tried to power it on today, nothing..... I tried to reset the SMC, didn't work. If I hold the power button in for 5 seconds it will make a sound that sounds like the hard drive starting up, almost like a scratching sound that happens twice. It will not make it past that point.

Any ideas?

Does it show anything on the screen?

remacberlin,

Nothing, just that little noise when you it the power button

jeff ,

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

After removing the screen with suction cups there are diagnostics lights on the logic in the lower right hand corner. They will tell you if your power supply has failed.

Heavy-Duty Suction Cups (Pair)

Heavy-Duty Suction Cups (Pair)

Two 2.25" diameter suction cups used for lifting display glass off Aluminum iMacs. A must-have tool when repairing or replacing broken, cracked, or shattered iMac screens. — 50+ available at 14.95 each.

Edited by: mayer ( )

Update- I was messing around over the weekend and decided to hit the power button one more time before I broke down and bought a new 27" and the darn thing powered up and worked fine for hours but once it went to sleep it did not wake up. Now when I press the power button the cd drive clicks twice and it makes no other attempt to start up?

jeff ,

Sounds like you may have a component overheating and preventing start up. Unplug it and leave it for 12 hours then try it again.

mayer,